Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rattling noise in the back of my station wagon

8K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  BrazDane 
#1 ·
I have 2002 E320 station wagon the rear end of my car rattles the moment I drive over an small pad hole and I can’t seems to be able to locate the source of the noise.

I secure the spare wheel in the back so it cannot be that. Please, help me to locate the source of this annoying noise.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Many people believe replacing the accumulators is the answer to this very common problem. I just replaced mine and the problem is still there. No fluid leaks and the rattling/thumping noise is so f'n annoying!

#18 ·
I tried to check the shock mounts but could not remove the rear panel.
I removed two screws at 1 and 2 on the picture below. It seems the panel is still attached at points 3 and 4 but I could not find a screw and did not want to force it out. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I would like to inspect/replace the shock mounts. When I bought the wagon 2 years ago, the rear suspension was much smoother but it's been hardening with time.
Thanks

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Bump for great justice.

I just bought my '01 and didn't even know it had a self leveling setup; its presence would lead me to believe that it is designed to ride smoothly. I suspect the spring rates are the same for coupe and wagon; I know they are for aftermarket springs. The only reason trucks ride rough is because they have spring rates designed to deal with their maximum capacity. The self leveling system is effectively a dynamic spring rate and thus, the best ride for the current load.

I believe mine rides too rough in the rear. It's a shame there isn't a test procedure for the accumulators; even if it required removing them to perform. I think some of my rattles were coming from my 3rd row seat - I noticed that after someone left it open the other night there wasn't quite as much noise coming from the rear.

Anyone have the best price on Accumulators?

#25 ·
Check for loose stuff

Just bought a 2000 E320 wagon myself and also heard a clunking sound going over potholes. I discovered that the amp bracket on the right side was loose - just rattling around in the well. I tightened it up with some appropriate size machine screws. So try and look for loose stuff too, before you get too far with the suspension.

Just my thoughts :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.