#1 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: E200K - 2008 (facelift)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question DIY Coolant change/drain on E320 1998?

I don't believe my coolant has been changed in the last 10 years

This car was inherited so the maintenance log is spotty and the stealership here is not adherent to expertise in car maintenance (yep, they're only motivated to move cars OUT the door and never be held accountable for the product sold).

Still, I DIG this car. So I wanted to enact a coolant change but there doesn't appear to be any stickies or DIY'ers on this issue such as that posted for the oil change and thank you gregs210 for that stupid-proof method

Does anyone here know what needs to be done at home in order to change the coolant from the very green coolant running around in mine right now?

Help appreciated

... just another day in paradise until your prescription runs out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
That's odd and you're right - I don't see one either. I know it's been described on a thread or two here, but maybe none of those threads made it into the stickys because there were no photos.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 210.065
According to my memory, there are a few threads describing this. Apparently there is no drain plug at the bottom. People drain the old coolant by disconnecting the tube to the radiator. Then pour in water and run the engine for a while, then drain again. Then add coolant 50% (only MB approved type, with a gold color bottle) water 50%, then it is done, check level again after the engine run for a while. Mind the pressure cap.

iluvJESUS
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God,
"who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:8
#4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: E200K - 2008 (facelift)
(Thread Starter)
Now that's what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjesus View Post
According to my memory, there are a few threads describing this. Apparently there is no drain plug at the bottom. People drain the old coolant by disconnecting the tube to the radiator. Then pour in water and run the engine for a while, then drain again. Then add coolant 50% (only MB approved type, with a gold color bottle) water 50%, then it is done, check level again after the engine run for a while. Mind the pressure cap.
There are VARIED points of view right now as to how to go about draining the coolant and replacing it accordingly. Some say there is NO drain plug whereas others say there is ... I don't want to be put in a position wherein I pull things apart and lo and behold I'm crap out of luck so far coolant goes.

I had an engine leak that I had to correct MYSELF after 2 Indie mechanics and the stealership LIED to me telling me that there was a rear main engine oil leak when it was actually the bridging point between the oil cooler and oil filter that needed tightening.

I know there are guys on this forum that KNOW how to do this and I'd feel a whole lot better in getting their expert opinion in getting this issue done. In the same token, I'll even put a DIY'er together myself!

Still looking for that response .... someone please

... just another day in paradise until your prescription runs out!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Hi SB,
The reason that there is no DIY on this, is because it is such an easy job. The confusion about the drain plug stems from 2 reasons: (1) Some people are referring to an engine drain plug while others refer to the radiator drain plug. I've never found an engine drain plug on the M112 engine and basically I wouldn't bother with it in any case - just another possible area of complication. The location and appearance of the radiator drain plug may vary slightly depending on where the radiator was sourced from. But it is normally a plastic plug, sometimes with butterfly arms attached to it, but most of the time just a slotted plastic plug that you unscrew with a large flathead screwdriver - or even a coin in a pinch. It is positioned at the lowest point on one of the two vertical tanks on the side of the radiator. Once again, it may either be pointing to the front of the car, or back into the engine compartment.
To change the fluid, warm the engine until the temperature guage shows about 60 degrees, with the heater controls switched to high heat. Switch engine off. Remove the expansion tank cap. Unscrew the plastic plug and catch fluid so that you can dispose of it later. I also blow into the expansion tank to empty it from old fluid, since it will not drain completely. (Hope you have good lung capacity ). Close drain plug. Fill with distilled water if you can find it cheap. In the US it is less than $1 for 4 liters. This is probably only critical if the area you live in has hard water (water with high mineral content). Close drain plug and refill the radiator through the expansion tank. Start engine and warm it up again. Monitor expansion tank and fill up as needed. Once engine reached normal temperature, switch off and repeat steps above. Repeat the process a few times until clear water runs out.
For the final refill, you MUST use the approved additive. It is not the standard anti-freeze, but a special HOAT type. Mixing another additive with the special HOAT type can result in a nice thick slurry blocking all cooling passages. The additive used by MB is also available as Zerex G05. You can also inquire at the BMW dealer or the VW/Audi dealer as I think they use the same type. The color is NO indication of whether it is the correct type, some times it is green and some times it looks just like p*ss. You will need two cans.

For the final refill, distilled water is essential for a good job. If the fluid is not pre-mixed, then create your own pre-mix with the distilled water in a 50/50 mix. The mix is NOT for low temperatures in your case, but purely for anti-corrosion and anti-cavitation purposes. Refill the radiator through the expansion tank to the correct level with the mixed fluid, start the engine and let it get to normal operating temperature. Add more pre-mix if needed. Now replace the expansion tank cap, go for a short drive and then let the car cool overnight. Check the level the next day before starting the car and fill with pre-mix to the correct level if needed. Repeat this step every morning for a few days, since trapped air may still escape for some time.

After that, you're good for a couple of years again.
LogicalPosition likes this.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.

Last edited by Kobus; 05-01-2009 at 11:14 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1996 210.020
I do not use pre-mixed antifreeze when flushing a car, because it is impossible to get all of the flush water out.

Rather, I will do a final flush with (distilled) water, drain out what I can, add the proper amount of antifreeze to end up with a 50% mix, and top off with water again.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Yeah, that is the better method. It is surprising how much water does remain behind. So find out the capacity of the colling system (in owner manual), calculate 50% of that volume and add that much anti-freeze first.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
In California, even going skiing occasionally I am not worry about freezing point being -40 or only -20F.
I just buy a gallon of coolant and add distillate water to the mark.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class