Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Warped Rotors

704 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
As I was going through service records from the previous owners, I noticed that there was a note that stated the rear rotors were warped and that a slight vibration could be felt while braking. That was about a year ago. I do believe that they still are warped and if anything they have gotten a bit worse. Should I be worried about this? Is this a major safety concern? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have the same problem but my pads are at like 90% front and 70% back so I'm waiting until they need to be replaced before I do the rotors. For me it's just an annoyance, not so much a safety issue. That being said, if you're worried about your breaks laying down the $$$ to get the rotors replaced might be worth the peace of mind.

#3 ·
A slight vibration is okay.

Just be aware that in a panic-stop situation there is the potential that it may coonfuse the interaction of the ABS and BAS systems, and almost assuredly will modestly extend stopping distances.

That said, shaky MB brakes are still better than those on many of the other cars out there.

Were it mine, I'd order a pair of rotors, rear pads and some paste from autohausaz.com (roughly $130 with free shipping) and spend some quality time in the near future replacing them. Not a tough job at all, and I believe there may be a marginally-helpful DIY in the stickies. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#4 ·
I have the same thing. Just a slight vibration when using the brakes with a fairly hard application. Pads good. I am not sure whether the warped rotor is a front one or a rear one. Is there an easy way to tell? I don't get any pulling or pulseing through the steering. I figured I would replace the rear rotors when the pads wear, but that could be a while. I don't want to spend the bucks needlessly. But, if I knew for sure which rotor was the culprit, I'd replace it.

#5 ·
It isn't quite that simple. You always change rotors in axle pairs, and if you change rotors, you change pads. For whatever reason the rears seem to be the culprits on the 210, I can't recall hearing about a warped front rotor. Perhaps it's the venting.

That said, it sounds as though yours nay be innocuous enough at this point to safely ignore. But the only way to tell for sure is to mic the rotors.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.