Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Code reader recommendations?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mtbarry 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a decent code reader for our 99 W210 and 05 W211. I don't want to spend a rediculous amount for one but want something that has good quality. I couldn't think of anyplace better to get a good recommendation that from the fine folks here.

So what do you think? Anything you particularly like or ones to definitely stay away from?

#2 ·
Harborfreight tools

item 94169 if you have a store near you they will meet the internet price.
Good unit,shows faults,clears,reads I/M status.Solid build and for most diy'rs all that they need.About 50 bucks.
:bowdown:

#7 ·
item 94169 if you have a store near you they will meet the internet price.
Good unit,shows faults,clears,reads I/M status.Solid build and for most diy'rs all that they need.About 50 bucks.
:bowdown:
Thanks ohlord. I was looking at that unit. The price has gone up to $70 but that's still fairly low as things go.

The local parts house has the Actron CP9125 unit on sale for $50. Has anyone had any experience with these?

#3 ·
Loest cost, basic no-brainer scanner $32

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-S-E-Class-Code-Reader-Scanner-OBD2-c-clk_W0QQitemZ390041812793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item390041812793&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

#6 ·
Um, yeah.

OBD-II was a standard introduced in 1996 and thus OBD-II readers don't work on vehicles built before the standard existed.

There are some (expensive) readers that will do both, but at that point you're better off with Carsoft, the multiplexer and a laptop.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.