Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil usage - is this formal?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SDLCrazier 
#1 ·
I know this question has been asked zillion of times, many posts have been out there, but, I am not sure who to believe so to ask again here...

I called to my local Mercedes authorized dealer on what kind of oil to be used for my 96 E300 yeasterday. The "technical adviser" went out for a few moments and came back (apparently after checking some info) telling me that it's the regular 15W40 dino. He told me firmly that only for those after 98, the oil has to be synthetic.

The other day I called another MB dealer parts department, they said 5W40 syn oil...

I have been using Delo 400 15W40 LE for my 300SDL for so many years, it's a good oil. Now shall I use the same for E300? Any suggestions? I am in warm SoCal and I drive it mostly in town. Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks Matt. With syn oil, other than lengthened oil change interval, maybe double, does it add wear-protection in noticeable measure? On the other hand, I heard it could cause leaking oil.

Economically, in my area Delo 400 15w40 is $13/gallon, I'd use 2; the least expensive price for Mobil 1 5W40 at Walmart is $26/g, obviously the costs are the same for the same time measurement.

#4 ·
I change oil in interval of 5-6K miles with Mobil Oil 5W-40, so it is no saving there.
It's maybe subjective but after oil change my engine sounds more quiet.

#5 ·
Leaks caused by switching to synthetics were a problem thirty years ago, but not really today.

I don't use synthetics for longer change intervals, but because it is better in all respects. It does lubricate better, especially on a cold start. It also keeps the inside of the engine a lot cleaner.

#6 · (Edited)
MB changed the policy on oils several times in last decade, so no wonder even dealers can be confused. In the past they could buy a truckload of one, or 2 kinds of oil and use it on everything. Now it it getting tricky.
The policy about using synthetic was forced around 2002. So all W210 have been originally design for running on dino oil (and our 99 model with 320 engine did for several years) and than the policy changed. Shall I rub that the car that run on dino is the most perfect Mercedes I ever heard off with $120 repairs in 10 years?
The best oil for diesel now is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 while older diesels are good on M1 0W-40.
Synthetics are so cheap lately, that I am using them even on lawn-mowers, .... out of convenience of not getting different oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.