Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"heat-insulating glass" where can I find details on this?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Partlow 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I'm in the process of upgrading to a W210 from a W124 that I put 80,000 miles on (257,000 miles now and still going). My new [to me] W210 only has 190,000 miles on it. :D

I found the cool Russian MB Club page that has the VI?N check and my VIN lists package 593- "heat-insulating glass, all round."

Where can I find more information on this? More out of curiosity than anything else really. My Google and forum searches seem to just return others listing their VIN check codes too.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My uninformed guess based on my experience in the building industry is that they have what is known as a "Low-E" coating.

In building windows this is placed on the side where the greater heat transfer is; so in southern climes it would be on the outside and in northern ones on the inside. However, since it is most (only?) effective against radiant heat, it is most often used in the south, especially on southern, western and eastern sides of buildings.

#4 ·
Option Code 593

Refers to tinted glas all around plus windshield with top shade. There are several color glass combinations available for world cars. Standard used to be clear glass which make these cars look horrible.

For US spec vehicles, tinted glass has been standard equipment for previous models as well. Hope that helps.

Cheers

#6 ·
Sounds good to me. I knew I could count on you all for good responses.

I've only had my W210 since Tuesday, and it went into the shop Wednesday for state inspection and a few other relatively small things (I hope). I'm eager to get it back so I can restore the headlamp lenses (found great information on this site) and get the interior detailed.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.