Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Got my self a new E320 cheaply

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  e-420 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, maybe not literally. :D It's still the same one I bought 23 months/35,000 miles ago, but it feels and sounds like a new one. To fully explain, I need to go back to when I bought the car.
The car had a leaking differential thrust bearing seal and, to my ears, a noisy diff. The diff I ascribed to the possibility that the previous owner perhaps did not always have the diff topped up. In any case, that was priced into the final deal and I was quite happy living with the sound - just turned up the radio one or two clicks extra. :)
The car also had brand new tires on, to me a totally unknown make, called Spector made in China.:eek: But since I tried not to be labeled prejudiced, and 17 inch tires are quite expensive and a limited selection, I decided to give them a try.
As time went by, I started noticing more problems with the tires, namely a slight blister on one sidewall and rubber dulling on the sidewalls. I was hoping for a recall, but although some Spector SUV tires were recalled, no car tires were in the recall. The last straw came when I noticed the rubber starting to split alongside the bead around the circumference of the tire. Also the sidewall rubber started to look like that of a tire that was lying outside in the sun for at least 20 years.

So last weekend I got four new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S from Costco - now a special on with $70 off for 4 Michelins. The 235/45 x 17 that the Special Edition is fitted with, requires a load rating of 93, which is not available with the Pilot Exalto, so I used the higher 94 rating.

I expected something better than the Spector, but I was amazed. First the "diff whine" is gone! :D:D Although the car was labeled by my passengers as quiet, I always thought it was just marginally better then my 1992 Mercedes 190E. Now it sounds (or rather lack of sound) like a new generation luxury car - so quiet inside that I had to lower my default radio settings. The slightly dead steering is now suddenly crisp and sensitive. Road-holding has improved dramatically. And although it is still too soon to be sure, it would seem as if fuel economy has also improved. I've done 400 miles on my current tank, and I still have a quarter tank left. Normally, I get about 425 miles to a tank with my daily driving, so it would seem to be 2 MPG better. But I'll have to run thru a few more tanks to be sure.

The irony is that I also switched from Michelin Pilot Sport to Michelin Pilot Exalto on my SLK a few months ago, because MB had a TSB out regarding the Pilot Sport that caused a noise like a diff whine on the SLK. The Exalto also solved that whine on my SLK. So I went from 2 Benzes with noisy diffs to 2 quiet cars. :D:D

Plus now I can say without prejudice - Chinese tires are CR@P. :eek: Stick with the recommended tires for Benz, either Michelin or Continental. :thumbsup::bowdown:

See less See more
#4 ·
That's why you have to rotate the tires back to front every 5,000 miles. For myself I find 10,000 miles still O.K.

#3 ·
Agreed tires make a huge difference.
I always review the survey results at Tire Rack before buying new ones.
Much better than taking what the dealer has in stock!

#7 ·
QA/QC standards are per manufacturing company and not by location, so don't worry about chinese Michelens or Continentals

#6 · (Edited)
Ah, I've checked - Made in the USA. I'll only take German, French, Canadian, Italian or US made tires. Japanese is O.K. in a pinch.

#8 ·
What about Koreans'.... anything to complain about Kumho?... I used to use those on a 70's 280S and a Unimog in north africa where temprature might reach +58 Celsius at summer time noons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.