Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

how to open the IR remote and repair (Guide)

32K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  compconsult 
#1 · (Edited)
hi every one. my english is not very good and sorry if somebody dont understand what i am writing.

i have read a couple of threads from people wanted to open their remotes but is afraid of braking it..

you only need a small screwdriver and some force.

i have oploaded some pictures and here they are.

The one in the pictures is from a w202 1997 i have fixed this and my second one from my w210 1996. both are the same way to do it

1 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

2 = peecee.dk | Vis upload remove bat. and cover

3 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

4 = peecee.dk | Vis upload with some force it opens

5 = peecee.dk | Vis upload dont worry about the spring.

6 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

if you changed bat. and nothing happend this may be broken and can be welded on again, its the button you push when openning the car
It have 4 poles that needs to sit in the right way before welding it .

7 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

8 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

the spring can be taken in and out here and it can only be inserted one way so dont worry

9 = peecee.dk | Vis upload spring out

10 = peecee.dk | Vis upload spring

11 = peecee.dk | Vis upload key

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
How to reassemble

1 = peecee.dk | Vis upload the parts

2 = peecee.dk | Vis upload put the spring back in the key (only one way posseble)

4 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

5 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

this is a bit tricky . the spring has like a little "lock" in the shape of L . you put it in there and twist the key one or 2 times , depends on how quick you want the key to eject\open

6 = peecee.dk | Vis upload twist the case and close it.....

OR antoher way if it is too hard

7 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

insert the parts the other way around in the other side of the "box" lock the spring and turn the key and hold there, then you can put on the cover and close it ...

you may if you like to glue it together again , depends on how many times it had been opent before

#3 ·
and if you didnt have bat. in it for a long time you need to reset it in order to work with centrallock and car again..

With the driver's door closed and unlocked and you outside the car, press the button twice briefly. Within 30 seconds, enter the car and turn the key to position 2 (don't start the engine). Then turn the key back to position 0.

#27 ·
Key reassembly

After accidentally pulling a key apart and sending pieces flying about the interior last night (and lamenting about acquiring a replacement 1,000 km from home!), your video came through. The doors lock, the car starts, and all is right with the world. Thank you!

#11 ·
Remote Repair

When I bout my car used last October the remote did not work. Replaced the batter and still nothing. After reading the above guide I'd figure I'd give a shot at repairing it. However my problem was a bit different.

The actual button that was soldered to the circuit board was totally disconnected. After test fitting it to try to determine which way it was soldered on I carefully re-soldered it to the circuit board. I did not have to use any additional solder and the existing solder heated up and flowed very quickly so I would think you would want to be as quick as possible to prevent any damage to the circuit board. Both of these pictures are before the repair.

Re-synced the remote and it worked fine.

I waited until I was sure I had it working properly before I glued it back together and accidently dropped it and did not realize I lost the little red piece that covers the led. Anyone have one from a non-working remote they'd be willing to mail me?

Attachments

#12 ·
If no one here has a spare broken remote, you can usually pick them up pretty cheap on ebay, and and salvage the parts you need. That's what I ended up doing with one of mine with a broken case and lost spring.

#13 ·
Opening the W210 Remote

Hi, Help Anyone....Please...:crybaby2: i desperately need to open my remote as i replaced the battery and it still refuses to work...I cannot access the pictures posted on this Thread...
If anyone does have access to these pictures...Please re-post them or e-mail me....

#18 ·
hi every one. my english is not very good and sorry if somebody dont understand what i am writing.

i have read a couple of threads from people wanted to open their remotes but is afraid of braking it..

you only need a small screwdriver and some force.

i have oploaded some pictures and here they are.

The one in the pictures is from a w202 1997 i have fixed this and my second one from my w210 1996. both are the same way to do it

1 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

2 = peecee.dk | Vis upload remove bat. and cover

4 = peecee.dk | Vis upload with some force it opens

5 = peecee.dk | Vis upload dont worry about the spring.

6 = peecee.dk | Vis upload

if you changed bat. and nothing happend this may be broken and can be welded on again, its the button you push when openning the car
It have 4 poles that needs to sit in the right way before welding it .

Dearw210 Lover, thank you so much for your clear pictures, my remote has the same problem in that " this may be broken and can be welded on again, its the button you push when openning the car
It have 4 poles that needs to sit in the right way before welding it . "
Did you try welding it before? mine has dropped off and i am afraid to "weld" or solder as i believe they were machine soldered in the factory and hand solder may bridge or short circuit the other contact points on the pcb
Anybody can help me with this?

Thank you for yoru help in advance...:)

#20 ·
Did you try welding it before? mine has dropped off and i am afraid to "weld" or solder as i believe they were machine soldered in the factory and hand solder may bridge or short circuit the other contact points on the pcb
Anybody can help me with this?

Thank you for yoru help in advance...:)
I just repaired my FOB the way 210lover did. You need a pointed solder tip, and possibly a magnifying glass, use solder very sparly and you'll be fine.

#21 ·
I would reflow the solder. Here's how this is easily done with an iron:

Clean the pads and the switch leads with solder removing wick. Position the switch and secure it mechanically (with glue or tape). Then apply just a touch of solder to your iron tip, and when you are satisfied that you have a tiny bit and not too much, touch it to one of the switch leads and let it flow. If you get too much solder on the iron, wipe it off on a damp sponge.

This is close to the procedure used at the factory, but of course you're only doing one at a time.

#26 ·
My car came with 1 four button remote, nothing worked when I bought the car on the remote, so I changed the batteries, I have tried setting the remote but all that has fixed is that I can now turn the headlights on from the remote, I still cant lock/unlock the car nor can I unlock the luggage compartment.

Anyone any advice?

Reactions: cybertiger
#28 ·
I know this is an old post but my remote on my 1996 W210 stopped working after I dropped it and it hit a cement floor very hard. I opened the cover and found the switch had came off of the circuit and needs to be resoldered back on. I don't know which terminals to solder it to and was hoping the pictures from your post would help. But the pictures are no longer available and when I try to download them it takes me to a foreign web site where I cannot read the message. Would it be possible to upload the pictures to this post? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.