Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes E430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E430 Whining Noise - alternator bearing

Hi all,
I've been having a problem with my engine making a whining noise when running. I tried getting closer to the noise and finally found out that alternator is making the noise, because of a bad bearing. I changed the alternator today with a new one, what a bitch of a job!! The noise went down a little bit.
My question is, how do the mechanics at the dealership remove the pulley off the alternator?? Do they have a special tool? I had to hold the middle with an allen wrench and put a grove with a chisel into the nut and then bang the crap out of it get it loose.
Also, if anybody is interested in an alternator off of a 2000 E430 let me know. The alternator still works and I've driven the car 11000+ miles since I bought it 6 months ago and had no problems with it. I just didn't want that little bit of whining noise. If i return it I get a $100 core refund but if anybody wants it on here let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 99 e320 wagon gold/tan 140K miles
i have a similar whining sound, but mine is coming from the a/c compressor. the noise is consistent whether the a/c is on or not. i think it is the pulley.

maybe yours is bad too.

the weird thing is that my a/c works perfectly. i want to change the pulley but can't find anyone who sells the pulley by itself.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1996 210.020
There is a bearing behind that pulley which can probably be changed unless you let it go too far. You might be able to change it with the compressor on the car, but there isn't a lot of room down there.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Speaking of a/c, mine actually leaks and I have not traced where but that's a different topic.
My old alternator does make a little noise. I hear it if i spin it by hand and so it def was making a little noise.
I will listen to the a/c pulley and see if the noise gets louder there.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
And Matt yeah i know that now. I changed the alternator on my old Audi and that was a lot easier. It was a mess getting this alternator off!! I couldn't really find any DIY on here for removing the alternator so I didn't know what to expect. Taking the pulley off was a mess, getting the alternator off was also a mess as there are 2 bushings in the brackets that hold the alternator that press in when the bolts are in so they kept it stuck on. Getting the new one on was also a mess, I had to press the bushings(with a small bolt big nut small nut and washers, homemade haha) out to create more room.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meooem1 View Post
i have a similar whining sound, but mine is coming from the a/c compressor. the noise is consistent whether the a/c is on or not. i think it is the pulley.

maybe yours is bad too.

the weird thing is that my a/c works perfectly. i want to change the pulley but can't find anyone who sells the pulley by itself.
I actually replaced my A/C pulley last year. I also had a noise coming from the A/C pulley and figured it's the bearing. Take the belt off and rotate pulley, see if it makes any noise.
MB actually sells the pulley with the electromagnetic clutch in a kit. I bought this and replaced mine without removing the compressor. There is a DIY pdf somewhere on here for the MLs...
Changing it on the E-class was a little tougher, as you have less room for the puller tool. I managed to get it done though.

The noise was prominent when you toggle the A/C on and off with the "EC" button. If this is the case, I suggest you change the pulley, you will be very pleased afterwards (I know I was).

BTW, the dealer I bought this kit from had to order it. They don't usually have it in stock. Apparently, it costs more to get the pulley replaced than the whole compressor at the dealer (WTF?). As far as I remember, it cost me ~$120 for the pulley (I do remember that the core charge was outrageous, even more than the part itself, they really want the old pulley back).
#7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1996 210.020
Ali, I was under the impression that the AC pulley and clutch was a rather expensive piece. Perhaps they now have them reconditioned, and I've only seen new prices. Any prices that I had seen in the past exceeded the price of a new aftermarket compressor, complete with pulley.

Glad to hear that yours is sorted out.

It's important to have the pulley working properly, since the AC can shut itself down without your action under certain conditions (in particular, low ambient or high engine temperatures). If the compressor is idle and the pulley fails, you're getting a tow.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Exactly.
Bearing failure is no news to me. My e430 has nearly 200k miles on it and i have had the belt tensioner pulley go on me in mississippi (mind you I live in ohio) and one of my wheel bearings on a trip to Canada just recently.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class