Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Check Oil Level?

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
How do I check the Oil Level? (99 E320)

thanks

#2 ·
- engine must not have been running for at least 5 mins.
- key to position #2.
- wait until display prompts for oil report
- wait 1 sec
- press "0" {zero} button 2x quickly
- display reports oil status

- I found that you can simply press on the brake pedal quickly about 7x at step 4 to do the same thing on my car

you can also check the dipstick

#3 ·
While the electronic method is okay just for a spot check, I'm old school and prefer the comfort of the dipstick.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#4 · (Edited)
Ditto to the dipstick method. Since it is so easy, I usually use the car's sensor and electronics but I don't trust it 100%. Sensors on these cars can fail, but dipstick level is pretty much fool proof. With both methods, I'd advise you check it when close to operating temperature. I'm told that after the engine sits for several hours, and with either method, you might get a false high reading.

#7 ·
The oil checking from driver seat works perfectly for me for last 10 years.
Some would use any excuse to drop under the car, but I rather spend quality time elsewhere.
With some practice you can learn to compensate for parking out of level. In my cars the sensor is mostly to the rear, so if it shows low parked nose down I am not worrying about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.