Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1997 E300 Oil Filter Problem

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  meespiri 
#1 ·
I'm having a hell of a time getting the old oil filter media removed from the housing cap/post assembly. For sure, the media is a hell of a lot bigger than what's in the DIY filter change (on an E320) in the sticky section. If anyone has any advice or clues, I'd certainly appreciate it.

On the positive side, I'm also changing the glow plugs at the same time. All 6 came out; only 1 was a bugger. I used liberal amounts of PB Blaster, the engine was still a bit warm, and I worked with the smallest socket handle I had (assuming that I could only put so much torque on it and be less likely to break-off a plug in the head). The one tough glow plug was screaming the whole way out; once the threads cleared the head, it was still a PITA to remove.

Along the way, I broke a few electric connector housings, so I need to wait until Monday to get replacements from the dealership and then that night to finish-up everything properly. I'm just trying to take care of the oil change while I'm waiting, and that filter is proving to be a problem.

I also notice that the post that the filter rides on is not firmly fixed to the oil filter housing cap. It rotates, but does not come loose- it this correct? Man, I'm scared I'm going to break something trying to get the filter media loose.

Again, any advice or help is appreciated.

-dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Heheh... I got it off.

Right after I posting my frustrations/concerns, I went back out in the garage and tried again. Setting the post end on the floor and pushing the filter off did no good. Trying to pull the media apart from the post/cap did no good (it I actually tore the dirty media a bit trying that). I did notice that I cuold get the filter to move up or down 1/2", but no more. Then, I tapped the post on the floor and the damn media dropped off. Not a hard hit - just a small tap.

It was very odd - perhaps I had already "loosened it up" with my previous efforts.

Meh.

-dave

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Dave.

Don't remove the shaft from the cap.

Wrap a paper towel around the filter element itself, and tap the bottom of the shaft on the table. Be sure to tap straight in line with the shaft. If it doesn't come free, tap harder. It does come out, but it's not happy about it.

You may want to add a plastic grocery bag to the above procedure to keep things cleaner.

The new element goes on a lot easier. Be sure that you have it fully seated. Replacing the o-rings on the shaft is not necessary if they appear to be in good shape, but I always replace them all anyway. Always replace the o-ring on the cap.

That's good news on the glow plugs.

#4 ·
w210 oil filter replacement

Thank you very much for the instructions. I just changed the oil filter and oil on my 97 E300D. It threw me off first when I unscrewed the filter cap. I followed your instructions and it worked. Also, I just bought a MightyVac MV7400 to suck my oil through the dip stick. It was amazing. No mess. Thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.