#1 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
97 E420 Throttle body actuator

I recently just purchased an E420 project car. Car has 43 k miles on it and was a theft recovery. I have gone through and cleaned everything out changed all filters and fluids etc. When I attempt to start the car it will crank but never turn over. From reading other forums on this site I am almost positive the issue is the throttle actuator. Also when I turn the key on but do not try to crank the vehicle the throttle actuator buzzes, and looks as though it is either trying to close completely or open. (the plate is always slightly cracked open. When the accellerator is pushed the plate does open but only slightly. Can anyone give me any instructions on disassembling the throttle body actuator and if possible rewiring insturctions. I found some wiring insructions in another forum, but couldn't open the picture on my computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Hello Cougs and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

I have absolutely no idea how the actuator should function in that car, but failing to open without the engine running doesn't sound alarming to me. Hopefully somebody who know how this works will add something useful. My car uses very different parts to control the engine output.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Matt the actuator also doesn't seem to open like it should when attempting to start the vehicle. There is just a sliver of movement.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
The throttle actuator...

being located down in the "V" of the M119 seems more failure prone than on other engines.

I have replaced these units on both my old 400E and on my E420, and they are NOT cheap...

To my knowledge, they are not readily user serviceable; however, there are a couple of companies that purportedly re-build them.

A used unit might be an alternative, as the new piece costs $1,300+ at retail.

Good luck,

JR
#5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
I knew it was an expensive piece, so I was trying to discourage him from trying a replacement before being sure that it is bad.

How about his description of the operation during an attempted start? Do you know how it is supposed to act? Or anyone else, of course.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I have not seen a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I knew it was an expensive piece, so I was trying to discourage him from trying a replacement before being sure that it is bad.

How about his description of the operation during an attempted start? Do you know how it is supposed to act? Or anyone else, of course.
unit in operation when attempting to start, but just checked out the old part from my E420, and the throttle butterfly rotates smoothly on its spindle. Judging from the buzzing sound the OP describes, it appears like something is binding and the solenoid is trying to move the spindle, but cannot.

JR
#7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
J.R. so do you think that this part is the problem for sure then? One thing that I was concerned about was the possibility that maybe if there were codes thrown that it might be some sort of saftey precaution. This is my first Benz, I have been combing the threads of this site but didn't find anything on codes actually preventing the car from starting. Many that put the car into limp mode. I also have an OBD II reader which I hooked up and it doesn't show any codes. I also tried to call the local dealership but due to being hung up on and not getting an answer when I called back decided to bag that approach. Due to the fact that the plate was actually minimally moving, and buzzing before cranking I figured the part was bad. Also I have pulled the part from the vehicle and the butterfly does rotate freely by hand.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

That is a tough call...

as there are no "for sures" in this "chicken and egg situation". The car is not likely to throw codes if not running, and to get the car running you may need to replace the part.

When both of my throttle actuators failed, the car in question would start, but they were thrown into "limp mode" when certain operating parameters were met. [Usually speed related, as this system unit interfaces with the ASR]

Your best bet, I believe, is to try to get a good used actuator unit and give it a go; or, put the hands of a good independent tech who can further trouble shoot the situation. Acquiring a spare actuator is not a bad thing, if you plan on keeping the car, as sooner or later, the installed unit WILL fail.

Good luck,

JR
#9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks J.R. I was actually able to get an awesome deal from a salvage yard in California. 171.50 for the part used with a lifetime warranty on part and labor. Lifetime definately seemed the way to go after what everyone was saying. Also looks like I will be able to sell the core for most of that. Felt pretty good after seeing most prices around 900.00 or higher. Leaves more money for other areas.

I am definately planning on keeping the car are there any specific areas or things that anyone would recommend checking that are especially prone to problems or failure?

Thanks for the help

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class