Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 W210 E320 Tele-Aid Disable question

Hi All:

(I actaully mean the "Tele-Aid" system. Sorry if I incorrectly described it as the phone).

Does anyone out there know how to either disable the now usless Tele-Aid system, or at least lower the speaker volume.

As it is no longer supported, due to the conversion to all digital cell service, it would be nice to eliminate the initialization noise on start up. Sounds like a dial tone for a second or two.

Thanks,
Ron Y

Last edited by Gasman59; 03-12-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: May have been incorrect in my description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have a telephone 'base' in the front console storage bin (above the ashtray) and a handset? There were several different phones available.

If so you can get a pair of 'radio keys' and pull the radio. No need to disconnect it. Just slide it out far enough to get your hand in the opening and feel for a plastic latch in the center at the top of the telephone compartment. Release it and slide the telephone module out of the dash. Disconnect the cable and that should do it.

There is a storage bin replacement part called a 'cubby' which replaces the phone and gives you some storage instead of a 'hole' in the dash but they can be a little hard to find.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E320 4Matic Sedan
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, but no. The phone is missing but it was listed on the build sheet.
I am the third owner.
There seems to be a connector for it in the center storage area (top armrest compartment). I believe the start-up initialization noise is from the Tele-Aid (ONSTAR) system, of which I am trying to lover the volume.
If you press the info or SOS button you get a VERY loud "Unable To Place The Call" message that repeats for about two minutes.
That is the volume I would like to reduce.
Thanks again,
Ron Y
#4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry I wasn't of much help. There are certain parameters that can be adjusted using the STAR computer at a dealership. You might call and ask if that can be adjusted by them. Good luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't hear any initialization noise at start up. I have never paid for TeleAid but the last time I pressed the SOS button (last year sometime) a woman answered the call. I'll have to try that again to see what happens.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Cool Oh Ya

Open the trunk, pull the left side linner out, hidden way up in the top left hand corner is the ctel box.
careful which wires you disconnect.
B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe MB has a bulletin for the dealers on how to disble Tel-Aid. If you pull the fuse, you will get an "error" code in your instrument panel. I would immagine removing the connector would do the same. I have Tel Aid but never resubscribed, and pushed the info button once by mistake, it is almost impossible to cancell the call unless you turn off the car as I remember. I dont get the beep, but did not install the telephone since it was not T-Mobile, and gave the handset away.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
pulled out phone stuff from center and disp reads 1 malfunction

so disconnected phone stuff from center consul and now display reads SOS TELE aid see service dept(or something like that)
and saya 1 malfunction

any ideas ???

1986-560sec 168k-rebuilt heads,new timing chain, tensioner,valve job,new Brembo rotors/ pagid pads,ss cat back w/gutted cats,billstein hd's w/h&r's,new paint, new alt, new belts,new battery,3 piece zender spoiler,nippon rebuilt compressor,high torque starter, lorinser 17X8.5 wheels w/ F235/R245/45/17 sumitomo HTR. Euro Headlights, clear corners, 1991 Black Interior, Alpine Head w/Ipod Cable.infiniti reference speakers,infiniti basslink 200w sub
#9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM98 View Post
There is a storage bin replacement part called a 'cubby' which replaces the phone and gives you some storage instead of a 'hole' in the dash but they can be a little hard to find.
I have been looking for one of these cubbys for quite some time. Does anyone have any leads as to where to find them?

Drew

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
#10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2000 C280 Sport
I got the same problem on my 2000 C280. I just called my local MB dealer (Barrier in Bellevue) and they told me that it is the teleaid that is producing the loud noise. They can remove the analog teleaid system, but it would run my anywhere from $280 to $420. He also said that Mercedes is advising people not to remove the analog system as it could harm other components in the car (e.g. your radio)

I am definitely not spending $300 on getting that thing removed. If there is anybody that has stopped the teleaid noise, please help us out here.

Thank guys

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.