LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1996 210.020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At 58K, you're almost due for the transmission oil change and you know that it won't be too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiho View Post
0 - 62mph time for the E430 according to MB is 6.6 seconds. Absolutely no way is the Honda faster.
Sorry guys the 2007 V6 Honda will walk a E430.

1/4 Mile Drag Racing Times - DragTimes.com
#63 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: MB E420T
pardon me for barging in, but i see some arguments posted that make little sense to me (no offence).
you are either all doing acceleration (drag) races at every stoplight, or worry about which car gets fastest to 75 mph top speed allowed on most highways in the US??? while perhaps half that time on the highway you are spending in commuter traffic?

This would make better sense if you were, say, like me, living in german autobahn land (before reacting, ask yourself: how many times did you actually reach top speed???? i do so on my V8 E420T every day.... 250 kmh, limited). oh, and here the argument could be: many cars can reach up to 220 kmh (top speed of E320), but a lot less go beyond that... so if you like showing that bunch my rear end buy the V8, if you wanna race Porsches, get the AMG.

i just don't get the point: the difference (besides from all the options chosen by the initial buyer) is limited to about 20mph top speed, a few HPs. a bit of torque, and a second or so 0-60 times (no need to quote the right nrs here for me, i do know them).
there is more than the difference in mere engine that causes higher maintenance costs, bit more complex DIY work, or trouble finding spare parts easily. (like the difference between the sedan or touring, version ie classic vs avantgarde, adjustable suspension, etc)... that is before getting into the 4matic discussion.

My point is: you just need to get the car that best fits your needs, and there everybody is different. Probably other things than the difference in engine will make the biggest difference to you, like full option package -luxury, sedan or Tmodel -storage capacity, suspension type -sporty vs comfort, etc.
oh, and if you worry about fuel economy: i hear the Smart (from the MB family) car is now also available in US. perhaps have a look at that us well... for twice the budget
best of luck finding a great deal, and let us know (pics).
#64 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4matic Sport Designo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC420 View Post
pardon me for barging in, but i see some arguments posted that make little sense to me (no offence).
you are either all doing acceleration (drag) races at every stoplight, or worry about which car gets fastest to 75 mph top speed allowed on most highways in the US??? while perhaps half that time on the highway you are spending in commuter traffic?

This would make better sense if you were, say, like me, living in german autobahn land (before reacting, ask yourself: how many times did you actually reach top speed???? i do so on my V8 E420T every day.... 250 kmh, limited). oh, and here the argument could be: many cars can reach up to 220 kmh (top speed of E320), but a lot less go beyond that... so if you like showing that bunch my rear end buy the V8, if you wanna race Porsches, get the AMG.

i just don't get the point: the difference (besides from all the options chosen by the initial buyer) is limited to about 20mph top speed, a few HPs. a bit of torque, and a second or so 0-60 times (no need to quote the right nrs here for me, i do know them).
there is more than the difference in mere engine that causes higher maintenance costs, bit more complex DIY work, or trouble finding spare parts easily. (like the difference between the sedan or touring, version ie classic vs avantgarde, adjustable suspension, etc)... that is before getting into the 4matic discussion.

My point is: you just need to get the car that best fits your needs, and there everybody is different. Probably other things than the difference in engine will make the biggest difference to you, like full option package -luxury, sedan or Tmodel -storage capacity, suspension type -sporty vs comfort, etc.
oh, and if you worry about fuel economy: i hear the Smart (from the MB family) car is now also available in US. perhaps have a look at that us well... for twice the budget
best of luck finding a great deal, and let us know (pics).
well, that was somewhat long winded, but what I think you're saying is that you believe the difference in normal driving is not very big. In that I agree to some extent.

Having the extra torque is definitely nice. Neither car is gonna shove you back into the seat, but the v8 thrust is nice for getting into holes in nyc traffic.

Plus, I always tend to go for the most powerful version of the vehicle I can afford. (I would have had an E55 if it had 4matic)
#65 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
Just to be intrusive here, being inbetween a 300TD W210 and a 430 in my station-wagon investment, and having an E55 in the other parking space... the big thing that makes cars fast in use (instead of stats) is torque. V8s make torque low down; the inline 6es and V6s make it further up the rev range. Being fast is all about being able to take advantage of situations - whether you are in NYC, London, or climbing the Julierpass (look it up!), you need available power.

The real joker in my pack was the (now departed) 300TD. Big old W210 wagon body: 170BHP or thereabouts, and didn't wake up for overtaking duty until 2500rpm. Super-smooth except at idle; perfectly able to redline coming away from Peage (toll) booths. Cruised at 120mph. Nobody confused it with a slow car.

I've just traded it up to a 430, though i can't quite shake the idea this might have been an error in the longer term - the 300TDs are rated for a million miles or more on that engine...

I guess there are fast cars...and then there are fast drivers!

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
#66 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 W210 E430 Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacht Master View Post
Sorry guys the 2007 V6 Honda will walk a E430.

1/4 Mile Drag Racing Times - DragTimes.com
Yacht Master, may I ask, is that your car in the timesheets ?
#67 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What a choice you have !!.....If only the rest of the world had fuel prices like you guys and you didn't have to worry about running costs !! It is now around £1.04 per litre in the UK, which converts to over $8 a US gallon!!.. Enjoy whatever you decide
#68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiho View Post
Yacht Master, may I ask, is that your car in the timesheets ?
Losiho,

Not my car in the time sheet.
Just a short time ago my 430 would make short work of 6 cylinder cars (expt Porsche) but the times have changed. I found out the hard way, on the street. Multi lane highway with two entrance ramps that choke down to one over a half mile. Well we come out of a turn on to the ramps , I am on the inside and jump on it as I come out of the turn, WOT, and this Honda Accord walks right by me. When I got home I checked it out and found they have 6 speed and 269 HP and much lighter. Oh well

BTY the Honda looked stock, but you never know, they have thousands of aftermarket High Performance parts for those cars.
#69 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 W210 E430 Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacht Master View Post
Losiho,

Not my car in the time sheet.
Just a short time ago my 430 would make short work of 6 cylinder cars (expt Porsche) but the times have changed. I found out the hard way, on the street. Multi lane highway with two entrance ramps that choke down to one over a half mile. Well we come out of a turn on to the ramps , I am on the inside and jump on it as I come out of the turn, WOT, and this Honda Accord walks right by me. When I got home I checked it out and found they have 6 speed and 269 HP and much lighter. Oh well

BTY the Honda looked stock, but you never know, they have thousands of aftermarket High Performance parts for those cars.

Thanks YM

Thanks for that - the reason I asked is I think a 15.5 sec quarter for an E430 is pretty slow. The way I read it, if a car can manage a 6.6 sec 0-62mph time, the quarter mile time should be at least high 14s....... (bad launch perhaps ?)
#70 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Cool Get the most E320 you can get..

IF.... this is a daily driver.
When gas goes past $7.00US a gallon, you can squeez 36+ mpg out of it!

That being said, I wish I had an E55 as a 'toy car' just to play with once in a while.

B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.