Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Question on arm bushings/ball joints

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  debbibaron 
#1 ·
I just had my serviced at my MB indy this time (not dealer) and my guys over there told me they recommend I replace the control arm bushings and ball joints on my car because they are very wore. I now have 87100k miles on her. They also said the car would need to aligned after arm bushings and ball joints were replaced and the job was kind of labor intensive so they like to do everything at one time. My indy is not cheap like a back alley garage but definitely more reasonable then my dealer. I was thinking of having this done within the next week and I am curious to what a fair price from a certified Mercedes shop would be? I already received as estimate for parts and labor and it isn't cheap. Is this important to do? I don't notice anything that stands out when driving the car to indicate anything is wore. I trust them but like to get second opinions from the knowlegeable ones on the boards. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Hi Peter,

My tires were purchased late May and still look pretty good. The last time I was at the dealers for my battery they didn't mention anything about the bushings or ball joints and that was a few months ago in September. They usually list recommended things as well. My indy said labor about 2 to 2 1/2 hours at the most and this includes aligning the car. My old SA from the dealers is now working at my indy's so he is the one who works on my car. I think I will take it to the dealers just for a 2nd opinion. I do have 87k miles on the car and do more street driving then freeway driving for the most part.

#4 ·
if dealer didn;t tell you nothing regarding the arm bushings and ball joints, and this indy is telling you to change them, while you were saying that the same guy that was working at the dealer now is working at the indy, something smells fishy to me. the dealer usually tells you to change something that is not neccessarily needed to change, while the indy usually should tell you to change it only when you really need to. if i remember it right you have the sport suspension on your car, and i doubt it you race your car every weekend at the track. so your bushings/ball joints most likely are fine.
is your ride quality fine? can you tell a difference in ride quality? if not i would just drive the car without worrying.

#7 ·
Wanted to tell everyone thanks for recommending I get an 2nd opinion from the dealer. It was a great idea :) I took my car in early this morning to the dealer before work to have my Service B done (yes a little early as I needed to put in 3k miles more before it was due but I will do that in the next few months and I wanted to get it out of the way). I told them I just had the alternator replaced at my indy (who by the way gets parts from them MB dealership)and that is was recommended I replace my control arm bushings and ball joints so to advise me on that. I just heard back from them and they said the bushings are liquid filled and they didn't notice leaks or anything strange and the ball joints also seem to be 100% fine right now. Not to say that they won't need to be replaced in other 20k miles but nothing to worry about right now. Usually the dealer wants to make all they can from you but really I have been lucky as they have been pretty honest with me on what I do need done and what can wait ;) I noticed yesterday half of my plastic under panel that covers the oil pan was hanging but not dragging so I crawled under the car and noticed 2 screws (bolts missing) like I had hit a pot hole and they came loose, then came off. I do have very bad streets as they are resurfacing a lot where I live and some bad pot holes that are being fixed. They replaced the bolts and made sure the cover was on nice and tight so I was glad I didn't have to buy a new cover at $60 from the dealer. No charge on this one as there really shouldn't be.:thumbsup: Anyway,for now I am going with the dealers opinion that I am good for now. Makes you wonder who to really trust? The indy is good on prices but perhaps miffed that I have been to the dealer most of the time with my car. Indy is really out of my way.. i do try to give them the bigger jobs. Trying not to over analyze it. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Debbi,
Please do get a second opinion as I have seen the need for ball joints to come up at less than 100k miles. You may not not need them done immediately, but may be something you would not want to wait 20k miles to have done. As the dealer last looked at battery issues they likely did not put the car on the rack to look at your suspension.

#6 ·
Yes, my car is the sports pack. The last time the car was at the dealer was for the battery so it wasn't up on a rack. I just had my alternator replaced by my indy because the visit workshop light went on while I was around town running errands and close to the indy so I dropped it off later that day. I don't race the car but the area I live in has horrible uneven streets all around. Usually at what mileage are the arm control bushings and ball joints replaced? The indy did say I didn't have to do it immediately but sooner then later it should be done. Also, how do you know if this stuff needs to be replaced? Does it impact the ride? :confused:

#8 ·
I do find it all mysterious; my dealer said I really needed to have my control arm bushings replaced a year & 15k ago. They said I'd soon have rattling & uneven tire wear: not yet!
Am glad Debbi had her suspension checked as ball joints are nothing to mess with.

#9 ·
What I would do Debbie, is drive it, and sooner or later it will need an alignment, give it back to MB, they will tell you if it needs joints and bushings or even close to it. You have to remember some mechanics at MB never do an alignment, at the delership here some only do lube oil and filter, others only balance wheels, I am sure your indi is "ok" but like doctors, always get a second opinion.
There are things I let and indi do and others I dont, trans stuff, even brakes are MB, you have to have a good SA because mechanics are paid by the job and will find marginal items.
I just went thru it when my SA was moved to body shop manager, and all of a sudden an oil change turned into suggested flushes, caps and rotors, and things that were done somewhat recently, well within the time parameters. I complained to the shop forman that I have befriended due to my ML issues, who brought it up at the "team meeting" and evidently was confronted by some who thought they could suggest things but not immediately required. Many SAs have little mechanical background, take the mechanics word and are also paid on what they write up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.