Rough Idle No Codes Did not want to Hijack the other thread - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Rough Idle No Codes Did not want to Hijack the other thread

Hi guys!

I posted in the other thread and quickly realised that I was almost hijacking it with my similar symptoms.

Here is what the generic info is:

1998 E320 Wagon
123k miles

The harmonic Balancer had been replaced 15 months ago. The mileage was not indicated on the invoice.

When the car is stopped in Drive, there is a fairly noticeable vibration. When I shift it to Neutral while stopped, the vibration and noise disappear completely. Also note that the RPM will rise to about 750 from 500. When the engine is in Reverse there is very little vibration but still some. In Park, there is nothing.

When I drive there is no vibration but when I give it some gas it has the same noise as at idle but no vibration.

I was thinking that it may be mounts, but then wouldn't the vibration and noise be there all the time? I need to get the normal Tranny service done on it as it is. I am thinking that this will help. I will ask the Mech to inspect the engine mounts while he is doing it.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
TNTRower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
Check

for pending misfire codes with your obd2 scanner,harbor freight tools in ga.,I know because i helped out a forum member that was stuck down there.
If no stored codes(pending).Then the symptoms most closely match the mounts,and very typical of a benz with your age and miles.
Stand to the side(be safe)and have someone power brake the car.Not to the stall point of the converter,just to about 1200 rpm,just have them repeat from idle to 1200 a few times so it rocks the engine,observe it.A major movement in the engine side to side is shot mounts.You can also get it up on some ramps to look for fluid leaking or obvious collapse.
Handy with tools?Laborious job, but easy diy .Same with the fluid change and on a 98 you can drain the torque converter so you get a complete fluid change over.
use only mb trans fluid,takes a bunch.
MercedesShop FastLane
trans fluid

Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips mounts

both have the special dip stick and filter so compare prices.
ohlord
ohlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
The Easy items are the Motor mounts ..as they leak...the MAS will throw codes....and a Check Engine light.

I have seen a bad plug wire connector that WILL cause a Misfire and NO Codes
Found it with the SDS aka star in Values...One can watch the fire times of each cylinder
and since the 112/113 has twin plug ignition its not easy to find it without the SDS
Mark Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
Or

without going to the dealer for the use of the SDS any good real time scope/obd2 scanner like most indie shops have or if you are a die hard diy'r
AutoTap - OBDII Diagnostic Scanner for the lap top based real time unit.Under 200 bucks.
ohlord

Most likely the mounts,if he will go examine them first!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

You ain't going to believe this...

Well I just got back from the Mechanic. He changed the ATF and Voila! The vibration is gone. He brought me out and showed me the engine mounts. He said that there is some evidence of wear but that they definitely do not need to be replaced at this time. However, he did show me where my steering rack is leaking!

So now I have to find about $1k to get that done in the not too distant future. He was kind enough to inform me that it was not a big leak and as long as I keep the correct Hydraulic fluid in the tank it won't really be a bother. He was kind enough to sell me a liter for $10.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
Old 10-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
[QUOTE=TNTRower;2586388]Well I just got back from the Mechanic. He changed the ATF and Voila! The vibration is gone.

So You are saying that your mechanic changed the transmission fluid and the Vibration is Gone?

Wow thats a first....Good One
Mark Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

It will come back

most likely the lift took the weight off the suspension and when it settles back down the rocking will return.If not and a vibration was coming from the trans and a fluid change helped it,the transmission will be needing r/r in the future.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlord View Post
most likely the lift took the weight off the suspension and when it settles back down the rocking will return.If not and a vibration was coming from the trans and a fluid change helped it,the transmission will be needing r/r in the future.
Oh great! Now I am jinxed!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

[QUOTE=Mark Cummins;2586507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Well I just got back from the Mechanic. He changed the ATF and Voila! The vibration is gone.

So You are saying that your mechanic changed the transmission fluid and the Vibration is Gone?

Wow thats a first....Good One
I have had similar experiences with another vehicle. The previous experience was that when the the Tranny reached about 2200 rpm it would vibrate as it shifted. The darn thing was like driving over a shoulder rumble strip! Changed the ATF and it went away. Weird.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class