Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Type of Oil to use in Oil Change

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ohlord 
#1 ·
The recommended oil is Synthetic 0w-40. The stealership has their MB brand for $9/quart.

I can get Mobil 1 0w-40 for $6/quart at Murry Auto here in the Detroit, Michigan area. Is this a good brand to use? Are there any alternatives (perhaps less expensive) out there? My 1998 E-320 requires 8.5 quarts (with filter change).

Also, what is a good frequency (milage) to change it. I have been hearing from 8,000 up to 10,000 miles.

#2 · (Edited)
I always use AMSOil Synthetic. You can get it for less than the dealer sells Mobil 1 for. You can order it by the case from the AMSOil website and do your own oil changes. Get a good quality oil filter to do the job right. You can go 10,000 mile between oil changes. I do mine at 7,500.

#3 · (Edited)
mobil 1 0w 40

229.5 or better mbz spec.,This is one thing I would not mess with.Oil is the life blood of the engine.Why mess around with voodoo oil,over priced amzoil,that is nothing more then a pyramid scheme ,like amway?It's like those 25 buck spark plugs that claim to create a million watts!
Steer clear!!!!!!!
FSS system reset and use it.10000 miles and fleece filter.
The oil at your store that is mobil1 0w40 is the same good juice,use it.
ohlord:bowdown:
"GOT OIL?"
Vehicles with the Flexible Service System FSS from MY1998-2004 can use 229.5, 229.51 or 229.3 oils.

Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40

#4 ·
Hey, Paul.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to put this link:

Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

in the FAQ sticky.

That lists all the oils that have been certified by MB for the various specs.

All MY1998 and newer gas engine MB required synthetic oil at least 229.3 spec., newest require 229.5 or .51 spec.

Most folks use Mobil1 0W40, the only of their products I've seen that has the spec on it.

Oils that meet the MB spec have it printed right on the label, so whatever you use, that would be my recommendation, to use one that meets the MB spec.

I would also suggest you let the FSS tell you when to change oil. There is evidence to suggest that changing oil too soon is actually bad for your engine.

Tangential point, if you're running synthetic oil you must also use the fleece oil filter cartridge, not the paper one. OEM on line is assured quality and best price. I'd also recommend you buy the filter kit so you get all of the o-rings for the filter assembly and use a new crush washer if you drain the oil.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#7 ·
Ummm... not to ruffle any feathers, but the ONLY weight of Mobil1 that bears the MB spec on the label is

0W40

The others do not meet the MB spec. Read the label on the bottle, you'll see it for yourself (the DIY post has a pic of the spec off of the 0W40 bottle). Moreover, if you go to Mobil1's website and use their recommendation tool, you'll only get one hit:

0W40

(are you sensing a pattern?)

That said, one great thing about owning a car is deciding how you wish to maintain it and that includes the oil. If you want to run another weight of Mobil1 for whatever reason, go ahead, but realize that you are running oil that specifically DOES NOT MEET MB's REQUIREMENTS.

Greg

#8 ·
gregs210 said:
If you want to run another weight of Mobil1 for whatever reason, go ahead, but realize that you are running oil that specifically DOES NOT MEET MB's REQUIREMENTS.
Greg
This isn't completely true. With respect to the car in question, a 1998 E320, any oil meeting the 229.3 spec meets MB's requirements. This includes other viscosities of Mobil 1. My MB dealer sells both the 0w40 and 5w40, both of which meet the 229.3 requirement for my car, a 2000 model E320.

For MBs from 1998 to 2002 as long as your oil bottle states that it meets MB's 229.3 service requirement then you are ok to use the oil. That doesn't necessarily mean it it is the best viscosity choice for you. Your driving conditions and habits will provide more insight on that. You can't go wrong with the 0w40, but it is not your only option.

#9 ·
jlomon said:
This isn't completely true. With respect to the car in question, a 1998 E320, any oil meeting the 229.3 spec meets MB's requirements. This includes other viscosities of Mobil 1. My MB dealer sells both the 0w40 and 5w40, both of which meet the 229.3 requirement for my car, a 2000 model E320.

For MBs from 1998 to 2002 as long as your oil bottle states that it meets MB's 229.3 service requirement then you are ok to use the oil. That doesn't necessarily mean it it is the best viscosity choice for you. Your driving conditions and habits will provide more insight on that. You can't go wrong with the 0w40, but it is not your only option.
We're in complete agreement, jlomon. I have yet to come across a bottle of 5W40 (I'm sure my stealer sells it, but I avoid them like the plague) but if you say the label carries the MB spec then obviously I trust you. I still find it curious that Mobil1's own website still only will point us to the 0W40, though. :confused: I would just as soon run the 5W40, coldest temps my car ever sees are 30s.

Greg

#10 ·
I experienced that oil is playing very little role in engines life as long as it is there.
Personally I believe that even if you put pure cooking oil in your Mercedes, you still can expect 200,000 miles on the engine. Not that I would try. ;)
I have Detroit in my motorhome, that require low-ash oil, that I can buy only at Detroit authorized supplier and dino oil cost more, than synthetics. I am going thru the hassle of getting this oil, because risk of having 15-tons behemoth stranded in the middle of desert is too scary, but than I have 7-years old oil in my boat and tractor.

#11 · (Edited)
Paul Mellerowicz said:
I can get Mobil 1 0w-40 for $6/quart at Murry Auto here in the Detroit, Michigan area. Is this a good brand to use? Are there any alternatives (perhaps less expensive) out there? My 1998 E-320 requires 8.5 quarts (with filter change).
Paul, that is one of the correct oils for your car. I almost always see it at Wall'sMart and often at Autozone. It meets many Euro automobile OE specs, both gas and diesel.

Enjoy.

#14 ·
Paul Mellerowicz said:
The recommended oil is Synthetic 0w-40. The stealership has their MB brand for $9/quart.

Also, what is a good frequency (milage) to change it. I have been hearing from 8,000 up to 10,000 miles.
I have been using Delo from chevron 15$ for a gallon fylly synthetic since last couple oil changes & I love it. As a matter of fact I switched all 3 cars to that. only 15$ a gallon at costco.

#15 ·
Tsh9110 said:
I have been using Delo from chevron 15$ for a gallon fylly synthetic since last couple oil changes & I love it. As a matter of fact I switched all 3 cars to that. only 15$ a gallon at costco.
This was answered more fully in this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1334405-cheap-source-oil-online.html but out of curiosity, I went to the source and asked Chevron themselves.

They confirmed that the Delo line of products are not specified for use in late model MB and do not meet MB specs.

So I asked what their recommendation. They responded that the only product they would recommend for late model MB is their "Supreme Synthetic 5W40 and that only meets MB 229.3".

So, again, it's nice that Tsh loves the cheap delo oil at Costco, but in the Mercedes context it is loved by neither Chevron nor Mercedes. So use it at your own peril.

#17 ·
I cannot understand this pre-occupation with trying to find cheaper oil. Let's analise it: 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 is about $55. This will last you about 12,000 miles. 1 Tank of gas is about $60 or more. This will last you about 400 miles. This makes it a no-brainer to me.

#18 ·
No brainer!

Burn oil?:rolleyes:
:bowdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.