Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Getting climate control "codes"? Proper usage?

980 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FireFox31 
#1 ·
Hello, I've seen people post their "climate control codes" here while requesting diagnostic info. How do I get those codes? I'm in a 2002 E320 4matic wagon.

I ask because I'm sick of the climate control essentially blowing either full cold or full hot and being so unresponsive to when I change the temperature. Maybe there's a problem with the temperature sensors.

Maybe I just have it set wrong. Here's how I set the climate control:
Push "Auto" for driver and passenger.
Set the temp (72 degrees) for both driver and passenger.
Push the vent location button three times for both driver and passenger so it's blowing on my hands and feet.

That way, the temp is set but the fan is on auto, hopefully telling the climate control to change the fan as necessary to maintain that temperature. Unfortunately, it blows hot until it reaches some temperature, then switches to blowing cold; there's hardly any middle ground. And changing the temperature doesn't kick on the hot or cold as necessary.

The climate control in my 2000 Volvo wagon is excelent, blowing just enough hotter or colder as soon as I change the temp. I want my Benz to do the same. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
It might help if you were not overriding the vent selection; the system may be trying to reach a middle ground on temp while pushing cooler air above & warmer air below, thus the system keeping the fan at a high speed for a long time.

#4 ·
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I will also try using the automatic vent choice. It's just that my hands and feet are always cold so I like warm air on them, hence the vent override. Maybe auto will work better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.