Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Towing with E320 Wagon?

18K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
It must sound like a crazy question in US (where everyone tows with big SUVs/trucks), but has anyone got experience with using W210 E320 Wagon for occasional towing? I'm thinking about moving a small car, about 2700 lb (plus a dolly about 600lb). On the web I see just class 1 hitches (up to 2500 lb).

Has anyone seen class 2 hitches for this car (3500 lb), perhaps in Europe? Can class 1 handle 3300lb for a gentle, flat towing.? Has anyone towed this kind of weight with E320? With/without trailer electric brake?

BTW, E320 is rated as a best tow vehicle in it's class in UK....
 Caravan Magazine

thx

George

#3 ·
I believe the hitches available in US are max 1500 lb rated. I installed the hitch on my sedan, but with small utility trailer in mind. I've seen wagons in Europe towing huge caravans, but in US you might have legal problems on the side of finding the proper hitch.

#4 ·
My mechanic has a 2001 wagon - he has a hitch for it that looks factory (it isn't, but the point is - they're out there) and he tows a trailer with JetSkis on it. No problem. We Americans usually prefer a 6000lb 4x4 SUV for that job - the Europeans are a tad more efficient.

#8 ·
My mechanic has a 2001 wagon - he has a hitch for it that looks factory (it isn't, but the point is - they're out there) and he tows a trailer with JetSkis on it. No problem..
Stand up JetSki weight about 150 lb. Even with 2 of them and 200 lb trailer, this is 500lb,
2 Seater is about 500 lb. I am carrying one on the hitches of my motorhome.
It is much easier to tow another car 4-wheels down like ohloard does. No tongue weight and no fishtailing common with single axle trailers.

#6 · (Edited)
We

tow with a V bar on a ball,no trailer needed to tow the light weight MGB and extra tires and supplies go in the huge cargo area and in the pod.One track is just 15 miles n.e. in monroe and the big one is about 60 miles south of us.
:bowdown:
3300 lb would be out of the(my) safe zone it would be one wild ride :eek:
2700 lb and the dolly and the trailer,nope

#7 ·
I have a class 1 hitch installed

It's identical to the one listed on etrailer model number 11830
It has the smaller 1 1/4 receiver, class 1 rating is 2000 lb max.
I towed for almost two years a Whaler that came in fully loaded at 2000 lbs.
I wouldn't call the wagon the ideal tow vehicle, but it did the job and I took it very easy. It's toughest test was when I picked up the rig in Tucson and delivered it back to Carlsbad. I almost ran out of gas outside Yuma, I knew the milage would drop but wow that was close. Anyway it did the job, the tranny needs some time to adjust to the load. Ohlord posted the procedure to reset the tranny and that might be a good idea when you first hook up the rig.
Good Luck

#10 ·
Yikes

isnt that like 600 bucks and then shipping here?Mine was custom built for about 200 bucks and the etrailer unit is not much more than that from what I remember.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
50mm

is 5 cm. 2.54 cm per inch 5/2.54=1.97inch probably good enough for government work:)
but at the price they want the ball should be plated in gold:D and that would make up the 3/100 inch slack

#14 ·
It's an old thread, but for those looking through archives - I did install European factory tow bar a few years ago, rated at 4650 lb trailer weight (2110 kg). Brought it over from Europe as airplane luggage, as no one would ship it to US. European ball size is within the spec for a US 2" ball. The tow bar is very sturdy and attaches with large sturdy beams to already existing holes in rear subframe. Installation is very easy for DYI with basic tools. Of course this is only for experimental off-highway use, never to be used on public highway in US. But will work just fine in other countries where exactly the same car is actually rated to tow 4650 lb. Similar designs (with longitudinal beams attaching to subframe existing holes) could have meanwhile been made available in US - check the web (none were available a few years ago).

#15 ·
6+ years :eek:
I have been checking European hitches all the time.
Westfalia makes very reliable bars, that are not visible when the hitch is removed.
Used for W210 can be bought pretty cheap, but I am on the market for one for W211 wagon and the only I could find are new and for hefty price.
Here is video showing how German design hitches for cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KsMET0W5I

#16 ·
Kajtek, me too :eek::eek:

George, I need to go to Europe to get mine. Which one did you get? Got some pics of yours?

Post 33 is a nice example of a good hitch. I have no plans(Yet!!) to tow a car, but a Nice BOBCAT would be nice to do it from time to time..I'm playing with dirt lately...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1366700-hitch-e320-wagon-4matic.html#post7910530

I contacted the guy who did this, and he said it was a Tule Hitch sold in Europe, not available in the USA...

Martin

#17 ·
I happen to haul for Bobcat dealer occasionally.
The lightest skidder is like 7800lb, while the newer stuff is 10k.
I am towing with F250 and had some highway grades taken on 1st gear.
Sure this is what you have in mind for your MB ?
Anyway, I have been buying parts from Poland and used hitch for W210 can be bought for about $100. Here is Oris, similar to Westfalia with nice trunk insert for carrying the hitch when not in use.
Mercedes W210 Hak Oris Kompletny sedan lub kombi (4437336778) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje.

Attachments

#18 ·
Hey guys, I also want to install an original German hitch on my e320 4matic wagon. I just wanted to confirm that there is no clearly defined tow capacity for this vechile in the USA since I have yet to come across one.
So I'm I right to assume that all is clear legally if we go by the 2200 kg capacity listed in europe, assuming we have the original euro hitch meant for the job?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.