Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Check engine electronics, Check oil level.+ others

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
My car is a 1996 E320 sedan with 162k miles. Recently I saw engine oil level, soon after check engine electronics came up. I checked the oil level, it was ok. I went ahead and did oil change and changed the oil swtich in the pan. All to no avail. All this while its performance was not compromised. About a week ago it started to mis fire and my mechanic said I should do tune up which I did. Right now it fires well, But when i start it in the morning, the initial crank was high as if one steps on the gas pedal. this is associated with a tapping sound that stops after warming up. Its like a bundle of problems all coming at the same time. I have heard about engine harness and I dont want to think along that line because of the "Benjamin" I also hear the humming of the trans as it selects the gear. This is worse at low speed 20-40. Please your sugestion is despirately and urgently neede. This car is driving me crazy. Do I forget to tell you I still love this car?

#2 ·
If you get a check engine light, get the code read to find out what the problem is. You can get the code read for nothing. Don't just guess and throw parts at the problem. That can get very expensive very fast. If your mechanic did not read the codes like he should have, get a new mechanic.

Len

#4 ·
One visit to a dealer will cost you more, than a good quality scanner. I just bought one at PepBoys for $99 minus $20 rebate.
I am having my E300 displaying "engine electronic" code, what is some bad spot on gas pedal switch. It happens only occasionally, so I am not worry yet.
Good luck to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.