Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E430 engine warning lamp lights up from time to time

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  maciek 
#1 ·
Hi there - I just joined this great forum.
I'm a very proud owner of a recently bought 4 years-old E430 Avantgarde and my only remorse is why did I wait for so long to get such a great car!!!
We're still getting to know each other but I'm totally impressed with power, handling and MB attention to details.
One small thing started to concern me recently - for no apparent reason the engine warning light comes on from time to time and stays on for a day or so only to disappear as unexpectedly as it appeared (usually after re-starting the engine). No malfunction is displayed on the monitor screen. I checked oil level - no problem, temperature is OK all the time. The closest MB service is 300km away and I'm not that keen to drive there if it's not absolutely necessary. Could anybody please shed some light on that? Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
G'day, maciek, and welcome to the forum! As well as the world of MBZ enjoyment!

The CEL (check engine light) comes on only for certain things. Errors are often thrown off by various sensors and stored as codes and if they're either serious enough or repeat often enough the CEL will be turned on. As the system updates through start and stop cycles, should the sensor be back in range then the CEL will be turned off. The only way to be sure of the issue is to get to a shop with an OBD-II meter and have them download the codes (or buy one, they're not horribly expensive, $100 will get you a decent one here, but if you buy one make sure the type you get also permits you to clear codes, not just read them). Codes are stored even if the CEL is not on, so you'll be able to see what's going on.

Without knowing the codes it would just be guessing. That said, to my knowledge the two most common CEL illuminators -- particularly when it's an intermittent light that comes and goes and doesn't affect driveability -- are the gas cap mis-seal and the mass airflow sensor. For the age of your car you're right in place for an MAF code, but they can be cleaned in lots of cases so you don't have to lay out the cash for one. If that's what it turns out to be we can help you with instructions on how to clean it. If you're handy you won't have any problems at all.

Any decent shop should have an OBD-II meter (even down under, it's a standard for most cars) so you don't have to go to the dealer or even one familiar with MBZ cars. Even if all they can give you is the code, that's fine, you can plug most codes into Google and find out what they mean. That's probably where I'd start; no reason to keep worrying and guessing.

If you go to a shop where they are not familiar with the 210, the OBD-II port is located on the lower dash; just kind of run your hand along the lower dash down towards your feet tracing a line a little inside of the headlight switch. You'll feel an indentation and there is a little hinged cover that pops open and can be snapped shut. It's only about two inches wide, maybe 3/4 inch deep.

Post back up and throw us some pictures when you get a chance.:thumbsup:

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#3 ·
Dear Greg,
Thank you for your kind reply and such exhaustive info.
I've never heard of an ODB meter before. A quick Internet search resulted in a link to an Australian distributor: it's only AU$99 and it can read as well as clear the codes/warnings <http://www.snet.com.au/catalog/universal-autoscanner-diagnostics-code-reader-p-266.html>
I'm going to get it and play around with it a bit. In the meantime the CEL has dissapeared. Another - perhaps non-related - symptom is that sometimes it feels as if the engine needed more revs at the take-off, particularly when I'm moving very slowly. Am I imagining things?
I'll post a few photos soon - thanks again for your encouragement.
Maciek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.