#11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Smart key

If properly ordered the key should lock and unlock the doors thru its 'Infrared connection" the "smart key" should be inserted in the ignition and could take up to 45 minutes before it will turn, or reliably keep the car running. The "key" needs to communicate and draws its enery thru "induction" from the key slot from the cars computer, you will notice the red light on the key being on when it is communicating.
Improper ordering of keys can be a horrible problem, "order a additional key" if you order a "replacement" the code better be correct or it will wipe out one of the others. My dealer screwed up and it wiped my good one forever, they had to order two more.
E bay remotes are useless except for housing changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: MB E300 AMG 2013, Toyota Land Cruiser 2013
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just received my additional smart key which I requested two weeks back for my E320 2002.

The complete key (remote + metal key) cost around $350, but the car needs to go the dealer so they can take all the information from the car to order the key, the key comes from Germany for our part of the world, I don't know US, now for programming, it depends if the key is replacement or additional, if replacement key then yes you need to take the car again to the dealer to program it, if the key is just additional then no programming required.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: MB E300 AMG 2013, Toyota Land Cruiser 2013
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guenther
If properly ordered the key should lock and unlock the doors thru its 'Infrared connection" the "smart key" should be inserted in the ignition and could take up to 45 minutes before it will turn, or reliably keep the car running. The "key" needs to communicate and draws its enery thru "induction" from the key slot from the cars computer, you will notice the red light on the key being on when it is communicating.
Improper ordering of keys can be a horrible problem, "order a additional key" if you order a "replacement" the code better be correct or it will wipe out one of the others. My dealer screwed up and it wiped my good one forever, they had to order two more.
E bay remotes are useless except for housing changes!
If you have a working key, then order additional key not replacement, if no key is working yes you need to order a replacement and that's for security purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.