Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Urban Legend? Or is there a special Electrical Restart Sequence?

821 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  raymond- 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Sometimes my electrics act kinda funny. Today they are all working fine. Sometimes after using my fold-in mirrors, the left front passenger window will go up half way and then stop. It won't go all the way up. This is when I am pressing down on the button to the second click. When I just hold it at the first click it will go up ok. A few minutes later it all works ok!

Is there a specific sequence I need to run (pressing buttons and such) that will put these things back in order?

PS. Also, I dropped in my car 5 weeks ago to have the two electric mirrors looked at and the outside temperature gauge replaced. They wanted to charge me €900 saying I needed to replace both mirrors totally. I refused and told them to *&^&^%%$% off. The left one would not fold and their is a crack on the right mirror on the inside plastic housing so it will not move electrically. Suddenly, last friday, the left mirror started to fold correctly. Don't know what happened, but when I got it back from the dealer a month ago i had to go abroad for work. Before I left I put something like 10 seconds worth of WD40 into the motor housing for the folding mirror. Went away for a month, come back and it's all working! I am really annoyed that they were trying to dupe me into paying all that money for nothing. Metal clips and some tape and the right mirror is now wedged correctly! Saved me €900! Ohh, still got to do the temp sensor, will figure that out myself!

:d

See less See more
#2 ·
when power is disrupted, memory settings may be affected....as well as strong
possiblity of computer error msgs. the degree of which depends on year/model.
sometimes these gremlins are sporadic and not consistent. but your owner manual
may have several of the reset sequences to follow upon power-on after eg the
battery was disconnected. the more common resets include seat memory, mirror
memory, sunroof, radio. i'm unsure how much of this impacts the version coding,
eg if you have boot CD changer, have retrofit HIDs, or other misc accessories.

i'm not so quick to scold dealers. they get paid by the hour. if they are chasing
gremlins, espec MB electricals....much of this is labor. sometimes it may be easier
and cheaper to replace a part, vs spending 4 hrs trying to figure out what is causing
the problem. it comes down to cost efficiency...and not always good vs bad part.
in other words, you may have a part that can be hacked back to health but it would
have ultimately taken more time to isolate the part, the problem, then to simply yank
and replace. like working with attorneys. the clock is ticking. but in the auto repair
business, it's rare that you see mechanics who take on pro bono work. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.