Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

97 E420 w/ 100k miles: switch to Mobil1 0W-40? or stick w/ dino oil?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TyBenzo 
#1 ·
for 100k miles my "new" 97 E420 has never seen synthetic oil. i'm 99% sure it came from the MB factory with dino oil too. does it make any sense to switch to synthetic Mobil1 0W-40 at this point??

if I stay w/ dino, what weights are recommended, and also are "high mileage" engine oils recommended? the past owner has been using 20W-50 dino.

thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
My car is the same way. I talked to the dealer about this. If it has this many miles and always used traditional oil, DON'T use synthetic or even blend since it may cause current oil leaks to become potentially worse. On '97 or under vehicles the dealer uses traditional oil and '98 and up use synthetic or blend. There was alot of changes to Mercedes starting in '98. In Florida I use and they use 20w50 on >1997 vehicles and recommend Castrol or Valvoline. I use Castrol High Mileage 20w50. Good luck

#5 ·
a bit cooler??? understatement of the century.. lol

i use to drive bimmers and all the bimmer technie guys are telling me to switch to M1 or Amsoil full synthetic 0W-40.... argh

#6 ·
Tybenzo, from http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html , USA: Approved Engine Oils for the Latest Engines

"MBUSA recommends only the use of MB approved synthetic motor oil for all vehicles equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS) as of Model Year 1998. Conventional petroleum based oils are not recommended but may be used on older vehicles. "

so are they saying use synthetic on older cars or not?? lol

#7 ·
ProV,

The only problem with using synthetic in your car is that it may result in seepage around some of the seals; there is some anecdotal evidence to that effect. However, if that happens you can switch back to conventional and you'll be fine.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#8 ·
gregs210 said:
ProV,

The only problem with using synthetic in your car is that it may result in seepage around some of the seals; there is some anecdotal evidence to that effect. However, if that happens you can switch back to conventional and you'll be fine.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Greg,

Exactly my point. He should stick with conventional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.