Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MY REPORT CARD, Is it something serious??

849 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Frankbenz 
#1 ·
I just took my 97 E420 to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment and as usual they wanted me to change or service so many things like sparkplug, differential oil, etc., etc.
But the most concern was when they tell me that there’s a REAR DIFFERENTIAL LEAK FROM SIDE SEALS and quote me $585 p&l., FT (front ?) FLEX DISC STARTING CRACKED and VEHICLE BELLY PAN MISSING

So what was all that, and is it something DIY ?
Any inputs appreciated, thanks in advance

frank
97 E420 132K

#2 ·
Frankbenz said:
I just took my 97 E420 to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment and as usual they wanted me to change or service so many things like sparkplug, differential oil, etc., etc.
But the most concern was when they tell me that there’s a REAR DIFFERENTIAL LEAK FROM SIDE SEALS and quote me $585 p&l., FT (front ?) FLEX DISC STARTING CRACKED and VEHICLE BELLY PAN MISSING

So what was all that, and is it something DIY ?
Any inputs appreciated, thanks in advance

frank
97 E420 132K
Don't worry about the belly pan unless you want to.

The differential leak might be slow enough so that it doesn't pose an immediate problem, but check the fluid level ASAP. If it's low, you can burn up the differential and the repair bill will escalate.

The front flex disk can set off your air bags if it fails while you're driving. If it's original, it's probably due for a change. It's easier than changing differential seals.

#3 ·
Can you please tell me where is the location of the Flex disc and is it the common term that any mechanic should know (not mercedes indy). I called my regular mechanic and he didn't seem to know what I am talking about.
I am going to have my diff gear oil checked and spark plug replaced this Saturday.
Should I use Platinum 4 tip plug or just standard one?

thanks
Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.