Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Where is cylinder #1? Please Help

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TyBenzo 
#1 · (Edited)
1997 E420 V8. Can anyone tell me where to find cylinder #1?

I believe it is the left (driver side), the 1st cylinder going from the front to the rear of the car?

BACK
8 ..... 7
6 ..... 3
5 ..... 2
4 ..... 1
FRONT
??????

Check Engine light is on and I'm getting a misfire. I checked the code and it's cylinder #1 misfire. I believe it may be the coil. I was thinking of removing the coil #1 and swaping it with another coil (say cylinder #2)....then run a scan and see if it reads cylinder 2 misfire...is this the best way to figure If this is my problem...?

#5 ·
Problem Identified! I removed the plastic cover and the 3 bolts and switched the coil from cylinder #1 to #2, then I reset the codes....and bingo, scanner now reads PO302 (cylinder 2 misfire) instead of cylinder 1 misfire.....The culprit is the bad coil.

HOWEVER, I noticed while removing the black cover to get to my coils and spark plugs that the front side (near cylinder #1) was not tightened all the way and about 1/8" popping up. I had washed my car a couple days prior to the coil acting up (but I didn't pressure clean my engine) But maybe somehow some moisture got in through the small opening to the coil. I checked the coil and did not see any water/moisture. I'll spend the $90 for the coil and hopefully it will be fixed!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.