Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1997 E420 with multiple RUST problems

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Storm 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1997 E420 w/ 105,000 miles. The thing I cannot understand is why a only 9 year old mercedes already has 6 bad rust spots?? 2 really bad spots on the trunk, 1 on driver's front wheelwell, and multiple spots by the footwells.

Does MB fix these by any chance?? I'm sure this won't be cheap if I go to a bodyshop.. argh

car drives absolutely great though

#3 ·
Yes, alas, I suffered the same fate on my gorgeous dark green '97 E420... Tiny little spots by the modling in front of the the front tires. Fingertip sized spots near the trunk I/R receiver and right behind the passenger side rear door. And this was a couple of years ago! If you fix it (my first option at the time) you're in no way certain of getting it all - and my guy told me under the wheel arches would likely be next. Keeping it and letting go to hell was not an option, so I traded it while it still looked great to the non-detailing eye. It's a pity alright.

#4 ·
Mine was from the state of Mass Until I bought it to FL in 'Feb '05. Rust under my 2 rear wheelwells, popping out through the body molding on the side's (Sport model) and on the bottom of the rear trunk...Remember Rust is like cancer, you may fix it but it all may just come right back.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.