Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steering wheel cruise control = possible?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  OBX884 
#1 ·
I've always been bothered that the engineers worked so hard to combine typical left and right steering column into one stalk, but added a cruise control stalk with only four functions (+, -, resume, off). Since my steering wheel volume and phone controls are unused, I would like to remap the cruise control stalk to the wheel.

Some searches show that this hasn't been done (that I can find). Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know sources for more info? Are the wheel and cruise functions controled over CAN BUS (in which case, forget it)?

I know essentially nothing about electronics, so I'd like to make this as smiple as possible. Any tips on dissassembly, reassembly, wiring, etc would be appreciated. I've only got Braingears to go by so far. Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I guess you mean that I can't plug the steering wheel buttons right into the cruise control harness. That's ok, I didn't expect to. I know I'll have to make a wiring harness to match the two.

You seem to know a lot about modifications. Do you know what type of signals the cruise control and steering wheel buttons use to communicate? Do they just send 12V over a line? Or do they communicate on CAN BUS or something else?

I'm hoping that a little work with a voltmeter, wire, and solder can cook up a harness to make this work, but still be able to revert back to stock. Thanks.

#4 ·
Sounds like an ambitious project-- good luck-- how do you plan to deal with the functions of the buttons you disconnect as they apply to the other functions of the computer. All buttons except really the send/end (if you don't have a phone) control things other than the radio...i.e. the volume control is also used to set the time and other options.

You'll be the first one to change the cruise control lever for over 30 years of the same design! (it's even still on the new S-class)

#5 ·
hey... when it comes to electronics and the E-Class... i could easily say i know what im talkin about. My E430 was purchased from an Auto auction and it had electrical/fire damadge.... well, i wired the whole beast back up and brought it back to life... still driving till this day..
Anyways.. back to your topic, there are six wires. wires which list of ---Positve (Red), Negative (Brown), Resume speed wire, Cancel Cruise wire, Accel wire and decel wire. If you can figure out which is which, than all you would have to do is lead the wires to the steering controls and then start crimping.
The Steering (volume) controls will most likely contain 2 each and the phone controls... i dont know, you will have to check.
With wiring, you would have to connect a Accel and deccel wire plus a resume plus the negative to the volume up and down... same thing on the other buttons.

I Hope thats clear.. keep me posted on info... oh and a voltage metter would be very handy for your project.

#6 ·
FireFox31 said:
I've always been bothered that the engineers worked so hard to combine typical left and right steering column into one stalk, but added a cruise control stalk with only four functions (+, -, resume, off). Since my steering wheel volume and phone controls are unused, I would like to remap the cruise control stalk to the wheel.

Some searches show that this hasn't been done (that I can find). Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know sources for more info? Are the wheel and cruise functions controled over CAN BUS (in which case, forget it)?

I know essentially nothing about electronics, so I'd like to make this as smiple as possible. Any tips on dissassembly, reassembly, wiring, etc would be appreciated. I've only got Braingears to go by so far. Thanks.
The Mercedes cruise control (worldwide known as Tempomat) stalk is a great example of ergonomics. I think you can't beat that design that dates back to the 70s. Cannot think of a Mercedes without it. Or worse still, with Japanese looking buttons on the steering wheel for that function. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

#7 ·
skipinschool, thanks so much for the info. Seems straightforward, so I'll (eventually) give it a shot.

Franasia and OBX, I didn't know the stalk had such a history. It's funny how design elements can stick for so long; I really love that consistancy. Unfortunately, I don't prefer the design, feeling like I have to reach to far for something I don't have accurate tactile control over.

On computers, I prefer to use the keyboard over the mouse because I can't miss my aim with the keyboard. I feel the same way about the cruise stalk. It takes a long reach (without taking hands off wheel) and a long throw to make it do what I want; potential for error. I'd prefer buttons, close to the fingers, no room for mistake.

I never actually knew the + - set the clock. Maybe I could wire them to some small buttons placed where the cruise stalk once was for the twice a year (daylight savings) that I'd use them.

Thanks guys, I'll hopefully try this.... once I polish up and post pictures of my audio install!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.