Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Wife left lights on: Dead battery (help)

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Creative85 
#1 ·
Since I am new here...

How do I access my battery, and is it OK to charge it like any other car? Thanks. -Chris.

#8 ·
Mark Cummins said:
If its the Original Battery I Would just replace it with a Optima sealed battery

But If You want to Recharge the battery Yes its a Good Idea to remove the ground cable BEFORE you try to recharge the battery

Thanks. Yes, it is the original battery. I am going to charge it, and then buy a new one this weekend... or, I can probably find a cheaper one online. -chris.

#10 ·
You have a ten year old original battery in that car? Then just throw it away. It owes you nothing and you are risking doing damage to the car's electrical items by jumping or charging that battery. If you don't want to do it yourself, call Mercedes roadside assistance and they will come out and change it for you for the cost of the battery. If the first one lasted for ten years, why not just get the same one again?

Len

#11 ·
It reminds me of my parents' 1975 Fiat in which it was impossible to leave the lights on because turning the engine off was automatically turning the lights off as well. Same thing in many other cars I've seen or owned over many years (like US spec Saabs or my current Infiniti Q45 has it user programmable with many options) - obviously it's not a new idea. Available in cars sold in Canada and other countries with DLR.

Why the Mercedes design is so brain-dead? (and so is US model Porsche and BMW last time I checked). Is it to save a $2 relay in $50K-$70K car or is there another reason? It can not be law, since I can buy in US cars of other manufactureres without that fault. What am I missing in this picture?

#13 ·
Len, most of the time I listen when the car is talking, but my wife less so (also see similar thread "Battery dead, girl drove car and left lights on").

And if the car is talking I'll sure fix it :) - either by reprogramming to Canadian DLR mode or by splicing into the switch wiring and adding a relay. I just wish it came fixed straigth from the factory...

#14 ·
You can jumpstart the battery no problem in the rear..funny thing is i went out to the club one night and i was in such a rush that i left all the lights on...when i came out after few hours... my car turned on no problem...but my battery is like 1 year old and i havent had any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.