Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just bought 2002 E320, 51,000 miles, some questions about oil change

13K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
Not my first Mercedes, but my first new(ish) one. My other Mercedes is a 1985 300D. Let me apologize in advance for any newbie, stupid questions I may ask. I have been reading this forum and googling for about the past week, and still have a few questions.

I'm going to pick this car up later this week. It's about 900 miles away, so before I drive it back I plan on at least changing the oil (unless I find out it was just changed, with a full synthetic oil). Before I change it, should I run a motor flush through? I have on past cars, seems to help get sludge out, but not sure if it's wise to put it in a newer Mercedes. BTW, some quick trivia, on older cars a lot of people would just drain their oil, fill it back up with kerosene, run for a few minutes, drain, and then refill whenever they wanted to get the sludge out. I've been told the motor flush you buy is basically just kerosene, but I'm not about to try that on my new car! Just some trivia you might like. I did that once on our old 90 Grand Am and even on our 2000 Hyundai Elantra when I was converting from regular to synthetic, and after a few minutes the kerosone looked just as black as old oil (the Elantra wasn't even high mileage, it was below 50,000).

Second, from reading here it looks like the best oil to use is Mobil1 0w40. I live in Tennessee, and we do have a full four seasons but the winter is pretty mild compared to up north (might get in the teens overnight a few times, but rarely gets in the single digits). Summers are hot and humid, been in the 90's for a while now (90 here is probably worse than 110 in the desert, where there's no humidity). Now, I'd love to use Amsoil, I've used it in all my other cars (including the 300D), haven't had an engine problem yet (unless you count the water pump that went out in our 01 Dodge Intrepid, since it was built into the engine). Is Amsoil approved, and better yet is there anything (besides Amsoil's literature) that shows it is better than Mobil1?

Thanks for your time, hopefully I can figure out most of the other maintenance questions on my own.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you use either oil (Amsoil or Mobil 1) your engine will be happy.

I know for a fact that Mobil 1 is race proven and various car manufactures use this oil strait from the factory. (Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper....etc)

The differences are minimal at best. I, personally, would use Mobil 1. But Amsoil is just as good if not better (its probably a matter of opinion).

0w-40 is fine for your area. In the summer time though I would use 10w40.

#3 ·
No need to do an engine flush ever on any engine as far as I'm concerned. Mobil 1 or Amsoil will do the cleaning slowly like it ought to be done if any cleaning is even needed which is unlikely on a car that new. Use a good filter too like a Mann, Hengst or Knecht/Mahle.

Len

#4 ·
i just bought a 2000 E430 and it uses mobil 1. besides the "supersynth", are there other types of mobil 1, and what is the recommended oil change interval with mobil 1? waht weight should i use in a climate like boston's? first car using synthetic oil...thank you!

#5 ·
fju2112 said:
i just bought a 2000 E430 and it uses mobil 1. besides the "supersynth", are there other types of mobil 1, and what is the recommended oil change interval with mobil 1? waht weight should i use in a climate like boston's? first*car using synthetic oil...thank you!
Hey, FJ.

Mobil1 0W40 is what MBZ specs for all of their gasoline*engines beginning with MY 1998. There is a spec (MB229.5) that the 0W40 meets; other weights of Mobil1 DO NOT meet that spec. (If it meets it, it's printed on the bottle, look at my DIY oil change, there is a pic of the label on the 0W40.) If you don't want to use 0W40, check other brands of synthetics, there are some that meet the 229.5 spec but are not 0W40.

One nice thing: You can use the 0W40 anywhere in the world, in any climate, from the near hell of a Phoenix summer to an arctic excursion to view Emperor penguins during the winter mating season.

Lastly: the MBZ Flexible Service System (FSS) is based upon the use of the proper synthetic*oil. Based upon a number of factors it will vary the interval and let you know when it's time to change the oil. If you don't have FSS follow the owner's manual recommendation, because the owner's manual prescription is based upon the use of the proper synthetic. Also, the synthetic*oil requires that you also use the fleece oil*filter, not the paper-element style. Your trusted indie won't goof that up, either. :)

Take care and enjoy the sweet ride,
Greg

#6 ·
Josetann,
Your new purchase 02E320 should have FSS, if the previous owner use MB recommand oil servives, not to worry about 900 miles trip. Before taking the trip, check the FSS to see how many miles to the next FSS services. It's a nice thing to have FSS, it's in front of you everytime you drive the car, you can check to how many more miles the car is due for the servies (A or B), if it show within a few hundred miles, I gues it would be Okay, but if it showed services pat due XXXXX miles, I would do the oil servies before the trip. Regards.

#7 ·
Re: mileage?

Thanks for the very helpful info, Greg! I'll definitely stick w/ the 0w40 weight.

#8 ·
ok - keep in mind I'm new to the brand - I look in my manual today to get an idea of when Mercedes recommends I change the oil, and it just gives me a 4-digit code which needs to be mated with the maintenance manual (which i'm not even sure is available to the public, or how much it is)? why doesn't he owner's manual recommend a mileage interval for oil changes? i have a great indie shop i'll be taking it to for everything, so can anyone let me know what MB recommends on an oil change interval??? seems silly to omit this from any vehicle's owner's manual.

gregs, i know you said the FSS will tell me when to change the oil based on the way the car is operated, but most of us here are fairly meticulous when it comes to something as important as an oil change, and again, this is my first car with synthetic oil...any input is greatly appreciated.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey, FJ.

I'd guess* the reason the manual doesn't specify is that the FSS continually varies it based upon your driving. I think it's upper boundary is 10,000 miles, which would be okay for synthetic*oil so long as you have a quality filter. Again, the fleece filter is made for that.

FWIW, you're corresponding with someone who is meticulous about mechanical maintenance. For example, although MBZ does not recognize the need for regular AT fluid changes, I'm a firm believer in that and just took mine in recently. However, given what I've heard and read about FSS...and that I trust synthetic*oil having run it in cars before, I just follow that guideline. If you contrast that with the fact that many manufacturers are now saying 7,500 miles is their recommendation for change intervals with conventional*oils, synthetic certainly should be good for up to 10,000 and probably more. Again, depending on your driving style and conditions you would want to shorten that, which -- not coincidentally -- is exactly what the FSS does.

All of that said, there are some people who do not believe in waiting for the FSS signal. For them they have to determine their own interval. And I don't think anyone can give you a recommendation, because again it would be based upon your driving style, conditions, etc. I do know that I wouldn't wait for 10,000 miles even without an FSS signal if that would mean I was changing the oil less than once every 10-12 months or so, but that's typically not an issue for most folks.

The last thought I have is that if you're old enough to recall the old days of lesser-quality conventional*oils and older engine design and build technology, the rule of thumb was 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever came first. All other things being equal, and if you still wanted to be overcautious, I'd think you could safely double that for the recommended synthetic.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#10 ·
thanks again, gregs; seems like we're on the same page. my mechanic had recommended 5,000 miles but even for me it seemed like overkill. I drive a lot - almost 20,000 miles per year - and the more heavily-populated areas of Massachusetts can be pretty rough in terms of stop-and-go, etc. plus, i USE that 4.3liter engine :) i'm 27, so i don't remember the good ol' days, my dad is a real car nut but he said 15,000 for synth!! somewhere safely in between, about 10,000, is where i'll start unless I get the FSS signal first. I actually followed the 3,000 mile rule on a 2003 honda accord, even though I knew I didn't "need" to.

i'm the same way in terms of fluid levels - i have 75K on my vehicle and i'm not sure if the AT fluid was ever changed. massachusetts (maybe the whole country?) has this silly "privacy" law which means you can't go to the dealership and pull the VIN history on a vehicle without the previous owner's consent. i'll definitely be changing the fluid sometime next year.

thanks again for all your help!

Frank

#11 ·
fju2112 said:
i'm the same way in terms of fluid levels - i have 75K on my vehicle and i'm not sure if the AT fluid was ever changed. massachusetts (maybe the whole country?) has this silly "privacy" law which means you can't go to the dealership and pull the VIN history on a vehicle without the previous owner's consent. i'll definitely be changing the fluid sometime next year.

thanks again for all your help!

Frank
Hey, Frank. Just an AT thought for you. I went to 69K before changing the ATF and wish I'd done it sooner. The fluid was very dirty and the thing shifts soooo much more smoothly. If you've got it in the budget at all I'd recommend not waiting until next year, since you don't know if it was ever done.

What?? Massachusetts with weird and silly laws?? NO, NO, say it ain't so!!!:D :D :rolleyes:

#12 ·
certainly...bit of good luck though; the dealer said they'd ask the previous owner for his authorization to release the records, so at least I'll know for sure! good idea on the ATF change. 75K miles, might as well since i'd be doing it in a year or so anyway.

#13 ·
MB sheet 229.3 approved oils
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain interval indicator FSS up to 20,000 km, or 40,000 km - 25,000 mi, current minimum spec for 1998+ MB engines, min. 1.0% fuel saving compared to 229.1, based on ACEA A3 B4. For gas engine of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).

AGIP EXTRA HTS 5W-40
AGIP Synthetic PC 0W-40
AGIP Eurosport 0W-40
Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Amsoil 10W-30 Synthetic
Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel
Aral HighTronic 5W-40
Aral SuperSynth 0W-40
Aral Super Tronic 0W-40
Aviasynth 0W-40
Castrol DCO TOPUP SAE 0W-30
Castrol Formula RS Road and Track 5W-40
Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC 5W-40
Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30
Castrol TXT SOFTEC PLUS 5W-30
CIFAB Synthoil Hydrocrack HC7 5W-40
Elf Excellium LDX SAE 5W-40
Esso Ultron 0W-30 (fuel economy)
Esso Ultron 5W-40
Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 - 100% Synthetic Oil For All Race Engines
Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 10W-50 - 100% Synthetic Oil For All Race Engines
Fuchs Titan SuperSyn SL 0W-30
Havoline Synthetic DS 0W-30
Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-40
Liqui Moly Diesel Synthoil 5W-40
Liqui Moly High Tech 5W-40
Liqui Moly HC7 5W-40
LUKOIL SYNTEETIK 5W-40
Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-40
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-50
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40
Mobil Synt S 5W-40
Mobil Synt S Turbo Diesel 5W-40
Mobil Syst S 5W-40
Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Pennzoil Synthetic European Formulation 5W-40
Pentosin Pentospeed 0W-30 VS
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formulation 5W-40
Schaeffer Micron Moly 5W-30, 10W-40
Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-30, 10W-30, 20W-50
76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40
Shell Helix Plus S 5W-40 (Mercedes-Benz)
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40
Sunoco Synturo Gold 5W-40 (introduced January 2002)
Total FINA First 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Valvoline DuraBlend MXL 5W-40
Valvoline SynPower MXL 0W-30
Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40
Veedol POWERTRON 5W-30
Veedol SYNTRON 0W-30

#15 ·
Vodica's post is interesting but my 2001 references MB oil spec 229.5 which is more restrictive than the 229.3.

Vod, where did you get that? Can you get one for the 229.5?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.