P0170 code and throttle valve stop? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2005
P0170 code and throttle valve stop?

I have a 2000 E320 with 68k mi. I got P0170, P0173 codes with CEL. I purchased a new Mass Air Flow sensor from eBay. The codes came up again after 1 hour driving. The seller kindly sent me another one. The codes still won't go away. The seller then mentioned that in some cases, I may need to "relearn the throttle valve stop because the eng control unit is now reading a new set of voltage readings and has to learn how far to open the throttle with every change in intake air tempeture and air flow." Is it do-able by DIY? Or I may try to get another MAF from other place? Thanks.
DanielChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Send a message via ICQ to wuzoo Send a message via AIM to wuzoo Send a message via MSN to wuzoo Send a message via Yahoo to wuzoo
try disconnecting the battery then re-connecting the battery. You might need to re-program your windows etc, but this should also reset your engine management.

I cant say for -certain- that this will work.

good luck

Last edited by wuzoo; 05-15-2006 at 03:09 PM.
wuzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '00 E320
Daniel -
I've got the same car and exactly the same problem. After getting the CEL and the P0170 and P0173 I replaced the MAF and reset the OBDII. After about 30 miles, back comes the CEL lamp along with the P0170 and P0173 codes. I assume you've found and resolved your problem by now. What did you finally find to be the culprit? Thanks in advance for you help.
Scott
cdrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: E-Class, SLK
Seems CEL is a big headache for 00 E320 owners. Is there anyone out there know how to fix the P0170 and P0173 problems?
netdvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2005
The problem might still be MAF sensor

Scott, I finally took the car to the dealer. They said it was the fault MAF sensor, which was the second one I got from the vendor on ebay. The dealer charged me $875 fixing the problem (MAF parts is $505, they also changed my air filter element). The CEL never come again. I don't know where you got the replacement part of MAF from, but I still believe (90% sure) a genuin new MAF from an honest vendor will fix the problem. The bad thing is this kind of "electronic" parts are not returnable to all the parts store. You never know if the new parts will fix the problem until you buy it. Good luck.
DanielChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: '00 E320
Daniel -
This has been an education. Like you, I finally took my car to the dealer too. They told me I had a bad MAF and wanted to charge me $700 to replace plus 'reset the adaptions'. I talked to the service advisor and told him I could buy one on the net for less than $300 and install it myself in 5 minutes. Long pause ... then he tells me "OK, bring me the new one when you get it and we'll install it for $75." I passed. I drove the car home (with the 'bad' MAF and contacted FCP Groton - the EBAY vendor I bought it from. FCP Groton said that their MAF's were NOT BOSCH but were guaranteed for 1 year and they would gladly credit my PayPal for the full purchase price. Bottom line, I purchased a new BOSCH MAF from another internet vendor and will send the aftermarket MAF back to FCP Groton for a refund. I HOPE the new Bosch MAF will cure my problem . . . we'll see. To be continued . . .
cdrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: E-Class, SLK
Scott, Where did you get your Bocsh MAF?
netdvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1998 E320 4matic
bad maf

I also bought my MAF from FCP Groton. The one they sent me was worse than the bad one I had in my car. I called and they said they would send me a new one right away and for me to put the bad one back in the box I get along with the shipping label they would send and send it to them. From the sounds of thingds thougfh I have no hope of the second MAF being any better than the first or the 2 these other repliers got. I can't see going to the stealership and giving them an extra $675 above thhee $175 I already paid for doing 33 seconds worth of work, that is how long it took to replace, 33 seconds, really. Maybe a Bosch MAF is the way to go though...
4maticinmedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2007 Volvo S40, 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E
I am in the very same situation as well. I purchased a MAF from FCP Groton and I installed it on my 2001 E320 and the car ran worse than before. I've located another ebay seller that is selling genuine bosch MAF for $203.00, so I am going to try that one and hope that it fixes the problem. If anyone knows of where to get genuine Bosch MAF at a price less than the dealer, please be sure to post, as I am sure many people are wanting to know.
satxmerc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
Maf P0170 P0173

I learned to replaced MAF. But I got one from eBay, claimed New by FCP Gorton. Check engine light on again after 24 miles driving. Reset again come around 24 miles. Have anyone had the same problem and solved using Genuine Bosch or from autozone? Thanks
cyowong is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class