Diesel Injector Pump Leak...???... - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz96 View Post
I have the same leakage problem. Bought the O-rings and copper washers and the 32 serrated socket from Ebay Motors. Everything went well until one of the springs fell while removing the pressure valve housing. Can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement? HELP!
Yep. The Dealer.

See my earlier post in the thread for the P/N.
2005 Pathfinder LE
Dave1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Diesel Injector Pump Leak...???

I bought the lost spring from the local Bosch dealer and re=sealed all 6 delivery valves. Started the engine before installing the intake and resonance manifold. Found no leaks. Put everything back together and started the engine and while doing a test run, I noticed a slight miss. How can I find which cylinder is the problem? Not having spark plugs I don't know how to check. Any pointers?
mbz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
I've been very successful in finding bad cylinder with infra-red thermometer.
The $10 toy has several uses. When you are done with finding colder cylinder, you can check your wife's cycles as well.
If thermometer doesn't work, cracking injector line connector can determinate the non-working cylinder. It is going be the one, where after loosening the high pressure line is not going to affect the idle.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Sounds like a good idea but where can you buy a $10 IR thermometer? Cracking the line caps is difficult. In order to reach them you have to remove the resonance and intake manifolds.

Last edited by mbz96; 02-12-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Correction. It is $6.99
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Bought the IR Thermometer at the local Harbor Freight store. In store price was $19.95 but I had a copy of their internet ad and they honored the $6.95 price. Can't beat that. I'll give it a try over the weekend.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 96 E300d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz96 View Post
I bought the lost spring from the local Bosch dealer and re=sealed all 6 delivery valves. Started the engine before installing the intake and resonance manifold. Found no leaks. Put everything back together and started the engine and while doing a test run, I noticed a slight miss. How can I find which cylinder is the problem? Not having spark plugs I don't know how to check. Any pointers?
That seems to be a common issue when doing the delivery valve seals. I ended up doing mine twice. I had read a number of posts on different forums, and some of the posters indicated it was not necessary to change the crush washers when doing the job, so I only replaced the rubber O rings. When I first started the car from cold, the engine ran just as smooth as it did before I did the job. After about a minute, to a minute and a half after starting from cold, I noticed a miss, which was only present at idle, or when going about 15mph and taking your foot off the throttle. There was no problem with smoke, or power, only at idle. After doing further research, a number of posters who had the same issue indicated that the miss would go away after driving the car for a while, and some used Diesel Purge to help. After driving the car for about 300 miles, with no improvement, I decided to do the delivery valves again, only this time replacing both the crush washers and rubber o rings. I torqued all the valves to 32 n/m, and after starting the engine, the miss was gone, and the engine was a quiet as it was before I started the repair. When doing the job the first time, the reason the engine was so quiet starting from cold for the first minute or 90 seconds was the fact that the afterglow process was activated. Once that was finished, the miss was immediately present. It is my thought, that by not doing the crush washer replacement the first time, the delivery valves were allowing too much fuel into the injectors, and as long as the glow plugs were activated, there was no problem. Once the afterglow process ended, that extra fuel created the miss. Good luck with your vehicle.
pimpernell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
I have a 1996 E300 and i also have the same problems. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you for your help in saving all of us from the "STEALER" (thanks for that the one i will use it allways now). So I order all the stuff I would need to do this job. When i started I notticed right away that after removing my manifold that the holes going intot he head had about 1/4 inch of grim built up around the edegs. I was wondering what causes this and whats best way to clean these out. To me it looks like it goes all the way to the bottom.

The reason for the change out is that my car has been speratic. Sometimes it wont start sometimes it will die. Any help would be GREAT. Thanks in adavnce guys.
fubar58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2007
kerosene to cleam IM

I've been cleaning my gunked up intake manifolds with kerosene or biodiesel and a bottle brush. The gunk just dissolves away.

Gunk comes from the PCV system dumping fumes into the IM.

Dave
ds190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Thanks for the info Dave, i will clean it out right away. I am still trying to figure out the speratic running.

Thanks James
fubar58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class