#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where is the Horn Fuse?

I called the dealer and they suggested coming and letting them look. Easier for them. However, not for me. I have read the list a bunch of times. Everything works. Except the horn.
I took it out and connected it directly to a battery and it still doesn't work. Its toast.

Now looking for a horn also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 98 E-430 (W210)(RIP) 96 S600 (W140)
Send a message via AIM to skipinschool
RE: Where is the Horn Fuse?

hey... if you have a horn problem, i have about 20 of those horns laying around for sale [:D].
I manage a salvage yard and i have PLENTY of parts from the E-class (body style W210. On my signature is my number..... My name is Dominik, and i can get you a good deal on parts your looking for.

P.S. i have that same problem, but i never bothered to look into it.

if you find out that your horn does work... then it might be a problem with your clock spring in between the steering wheel and the airbag.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND FOUND A FUSE UNDER THE HOOD ON THE RIGHTS SIDE FENDER AREA WHERE THE ECU IS AT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE SOME PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS ON THE ACCESS COVER AND THE FUSE IS UNDER THERE.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282

Quote:
jeff338 - 1/23/2006 2:53 PM

I called the dealer and they suggested coming and letting them look. Easier for them. However, not for me. I have read the list a bunch of times. Everything works. Except the horn.
I took it out and connected it directly to a battery and it still doesn't work. Its toast.

Now looking for a horn also.
There are two fues for the horns: Nos. 40 + 41. They're located in the fuse box next to the master brake cylinder.

When I first got my current E320, about a month and a half ago, only one horn was working. It was not a fuse problem but the horn itself. They use these very cheese horns nowadays that don't seem to last very long. I replaced them both with a set of Hella Supertones and I'm very happy with them. They have the much more classic Mercedes tone and are also quite loud.

Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17_1762303_127200684959PM.JPG (38.9 KB, 7259 views)
#5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:13 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

FYI, I was near a dealer and stopped. The horn is not called a horn on the fuse chart. It is something really strange I cannot even remember now. Something like Declare or Announce. I have only one horn, directly between the two cooler fans in front of the radiator. Mercedes wanted about $80. I found one at Pep boys for $20. Works fine. (The mercedes horn was shorted. apparently a common problem.)
#6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
JP1
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2002 E320
It's called "fanfare" on the fuse chart, fuses #40 and 41. I just came from the inspection station and my horn didn't work. We couldn't find horn on the fuse list and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. Luckily he passed my inspection on the promise that I'd fix the horn. Thanks to this forum I found it was just the fuse. I never would have found that fanfare fuse.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG
W210 E Class Horn Fuse

It's the 10 amp red fuse on the top right corner of the photo, just above the 15 amp blue. It should say 40 next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franasia View Post
There are two fues for the horns: Nos. 40 + 41. They're located in the fuse box next to the master brake cylinder.

When I first got my current E320, about a month and a half ago, only one horn was working. It was not a fuse problem but the horn itself. They use these very cheese horns nowadays that don't seem to last very long. I replaced them both with a set of Hella Supertones and I'm very happy with them. They have the much more classic Mercedes tone and are also quite loud.

Hope it helps.

E55 AMG Tectite Grey
GS300 Silver Sport
#8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1998 E320 4-matic wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1 View Post
It's called "fanfare" on the fuse chart, fuses #40 and 41. I just came from the inspection station and my horn didn't work. We couldn't find horn on the fuse list and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. Luckily he passed my inspection on the promise that I'd fix the horn. Thanks to this forum I found it was just the fuse. I never would have found that fanfare fuse.
Thanks JP1 if you're still around.

My horn went out a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had checked all the fuses, but missed both of those associated with "fanfare" until I read the above. I discovered my horn didn't work because #40 (10 amp) was blown. I replaced it an all is good. Of course, I don't know why it blew, so I assume I'll have some diagnostic work to do soon.

Best,
#9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2000 E320 Wagon
Horn doesn't blow after fuse,relay, and horn check

Fuses 40 and 41 are both good.
Relay good.
Horn blows if you connect it directly to battery power.
Horn does not blow when horn button is pressed.

To locate the horn relay, I found the part at an online parts store as part number 002542119. I removed the screws from the underhood fuse box to expose relays. The first one (black) nearest the fuses matched the number. I have two Mercedes E320's 1999 and 2000, so I removed the working relay from one and installed it in the car with defective horn. Defective car horn still does not blow. Car with working horn would not blow with relay removed (verified that the part is the correct one.) Working car horn still worked when I placed the relay from the car with defective horn. Hence I verified that I have two good relays.

Can someone direct me further?
#10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
Dominik said earlier: it might be the "clock spring in between the steering wheel and the airbag".

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class