the recall.

#2 ·
jvogt - 7/10/2005 5:21 PM

My 2001 E320 wagon with 40K miles has slowly
developed a mild vibration at idle. Could this
be a sign that the harmonic balancer is ready
to go bad? I've had the car about a year and
have put 7K miles since I got it.

I Would Inspect the Crank pulley for any cracks..since it starts as a crack..then seperates
also inspect the backside of the pulley..I have seen several crack on the back side..

Also have the motor mounts inspected..it will cause a vibration at idle...The Mounts are liquid filled and will show a leak when they go bad..You can also measure the mounts..MB has a spec for it.

If the pulley isnt bad I would still update it with the latest version...just to be safe..its about 70 dollars plus a half hour labor..

#3 ·
The recall is selective, I believe. But if you go to dealer and demand harmonic balancer change, they will do it if you car has slightest sign of defect, specially.
My friend has '99 E320 with 6,5000 miles with a slight sign of harmonic balancer going bad. He took it to dealer but dealer told him it is still OK. He demanded and even told dealer if they won't repair on recall notice, he would pay for it. Guess what? Dealer fixed it without charge! Mercedes will pay for the repair, of course.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.