Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission??

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bio 
#1 ·
As I pulled up to my garage, I felt and heard a clunking sound, as it the brakes were grabing. Once inside the garage the car did not move forward or back. As if the brakes were on. Then after putting it in park, then back to reverse, the car backed up, but a lot of noise came from under the car. Even in park there was a lot of noise. Once I put it in drive the noise went away until I put it back in park. I could not tell if it was the transmission. Since there is no transmission dip stick, I can't check the fluid level and I am afraid to run it incase it is the transmission. Any suggustions.

#2 ·
EEEK!! I don't think I'd drive it either. If you don't have a mechanic willing to come see it I'd have it towed in to a good indie. Probably is the trans, particularly since the noise comes and goes relative to shifting gears, but you may do more damage trying to get it someplace and may otherwise get stranded. Some indies will pay for your tow to their place as well.

Good luck and post back to let us know what it was...

#3 ·
Not taking the chance. I've worked too many cars to drive it now. I'll have to tow it to my mechanic. Maybe insurance will pay, either way it will be cheaper than the potential damage. Thanks for the well wishes. I'll post the problem when I find out.

#7 ·
I am not convinced that your problem is transmission either. If it is, I would not go to dealer and pay the kind of money to get it repaired. I would try to find one out of wrack car. Maybe $1000 or so for installation and used trans.
You live in Orange County as I do, if you don't have any luck, maybe I can help. raymondlee177@hotmail.com

#8 ·
Well, spoke to a different mechanic today and from the discription MB gave me, he too believes it is the transmission. I am now looking for an alternative to MB; such as a junk yard (mentioned) or EBAY. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you all informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.