Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E320 Head Gasket

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mjhawkins2346 
#1 ·
Hi. Does anyone have any thoughts on a 95 E320 cabrio with 20,000 miles with a major leak. The dealer is claiming it needs a new head gasket.

#2 ·
When there is a head gasket leak, you would normally see:
1. Radiator coolant going down although you see no coolant leak. Look at radiator expansion tank to determine that you are losing coolant.
2. If you open engine oil cap and look inside of the cap, you will see milky color. If you don't see it and color is normal black color, most likely head gasket is OK.

Try to get leak test done to make sure.

It is an expensive repair so make sure that you really do need head gasket. It could cost you around $2000 if not more depending on where you are getting it repaired. Never trust dealer 100%.

Good luck.

#3 ·
When there is a head gasket leak, you would normally see:
1. Radiator coolant going down although you see no coolant leak. Look at radiator expansion tank to determine that you are losing coolant.
2. If you open engine oil cap and look inside of the cap, you will see milky color. If you don't see it and color is normal black color, most likely head gasket is OK.

Try to get leak test done to make sure.

It is an expensive repair so make sure that you really do need head gasket. It could cost you around $2000 if not more depending on where you are getting it repaired. Never trust dealer 100%.

Good luck.

#5 ·
A head gasket leak can also be weeping oil from the edge of the head to block joint.

This project was been suggested to me by the dealer, but a mechanic I trust said to keep an eye on it, but don't bother to rip everything apart unless I need to do other work, or it starts leaking badly.

You can guess whose advise I took.[:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.