Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Found a 98 E320. Is it a good price?

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  mjhawkins2346 
#1 ·
I found this car in todays paper (7-2). I called and they said in excellent condition and I'm going to go look at it. It has 27K miles, leather interior and silver in color. They are asking $19,500 but I could probably get for less. Good deal? I figure low miles alone would make this a good buy, but then again, it's obviously set up alot.

#3 ·
KBB for Arizona shows trade-in at $13.7 and private party sale at $16.9 and dealer retail at $20k... so in some respects, the decision to pay above market boils down to how long you plan to keep the car, your anticipated miles, your confidence in the prior service care and frankly, just how jazzed you are about the car!

If you're simply smitten with the color, features and condition where you feel that the extra dough's warranted or not an issue- go for it !

Please post a pic and let everyone know what you're doing.

Happy 4th !

#4 ·
I think it's a good deal, though you can get newer ones with more miles for less.

For whatever it's worth, I paid $13,900 for my Black exterior / Parchment interior 98 E320 4Matic w/ 103,000 highway miles last November. It was in excellent condition, no accidents or body work, only one very small door and a few stone chips on the hood. Has heated seats, moonroof and the Bose system, but not the ergonomic seats.

The 4Matic all-wheel drive system increases the value by about $2-3k over comparable RWD models.

#8 ·
I would say that is an OK deal. Purchased mine (E320) from private seller for $16,500, two months back, 66k, and loaded. Bose system, heated seats, 6-disc etc. Just wondering if 39k miles are worth additional $3k. All boils down to how smitten are you by the car. I know I was the moment I looked at her!

#10 ·
Price is high. You should look to pay just a click over Kelly Blue Book Trade In price. Figure $14,000 to $14,500 is the sweet spot

I'll bet my ham sandwich that the dealer picked it up for a good deal under trade in ( in the $11K to $12K range). Prices are very soft right now. The low miles deserve a premium, but it's still an 8 year old car.

As troublesome as some of these cars are ( and they are ) the models since 2000 have significant feature and safety upgrades you can't add in later.

Consumer Reports gives the most troublefree rating to the 2000's (queen of the pigs?).

I paid $18,300 for a 2000 E320 in pristine shape, but with 72,000 miles a year ago....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.