Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Defective Lamp

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bigj3347 
#1 ·
the driver side left auxiliary lamp just died on my 98 E320. every time i turn on my headlights, the center console displays the lamp defective warning. its the small yellow light on the front left side of the car. I was wondering if i can replace it myself. If I can, if there's a good how to guide on the process. If not, can anyone give me a ball park figure as to how much this would cost to fix? I guess i can keep driving it without any problems at night cuz i wouldn't know it died if i didn't get the warning on the dash console.

#2 ·

Do you mean the side marker light in the fender? Go inside the fender well with a flat screw driver and pop it out. You can change the bulb yourself. If you go to the parts department and buy the bulb they may be nice enough to help you change it. You will pay more for the bulb but it might be worth it. Otherwise you can get a replacement at a lot of autoparts stores.

#7 ·
I took the advise of one knowledgeable poster and used dielectric grease on the bulb and fixture contacts.

It eliminated all the false "bulb malfunction" annoying warnings. Obviously a bulb out will still provoke the warning.

The best $2 I ever spent.

#10 ·
bigj3347 - 7/9/2005 9:49 PM

where can i get some dielectric grease and how to i apply it? is there some online step by step walk thru?
Dieelectric grease is carried at any auto parts shop PepBoys, AutoZone, etc. It comes in a small tube usually in a bubble pack. It should sell for about $2.50

Put a small dab on the contacts on the bottom of the bulb before pushing it in, and for bulb holders that have contacts that push into place -- put some on those contacts before putting it in place too.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.