Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How many miles on your W210

223K views 982 replies 473 participants last post by  wlb50 
#1 ·
I have 44,000 miles on my 98 E320. I was wondering if these V6 engines will go long like the old inline 6 from the pre-1993 W124. I have had 2 of those W124 and put over 200,000 on each. Still have one running strong.
Anybody out there have over 200,000 miles on a W210? If so, how has the maintenance been?

#57 ·
I sold my 1985 model just short of 20 years old. The leatherette still hold well, althought the edge of driver seat had about 2 " wear out, the car was repainted once with original paint and regardless spending most of the life in 4-seasons it still shined.
Some student still paid me $3000 for it, what could you buy 4 times younger Chevy at the time.

#58 ·
Norway

Hi there, I have recently bought two 220cdi, one 2001 avantgarde 175tkm and also one 2000 avantgarde 250tkm for my boss (wife), our first MBs. During the period looking for a good buy I noticed a lot of cars annonced between 450 and 500 thousend kilometers, a few more then 500 and one at about 670t km! All of them of course taxis. When I called around a lot of them had fixed their transmission 1 or 2 times for a cost of about 4500$ each time and of course had normal services.

My second MB i buyed only 2 days ago and already I have find problem with transmission not changing correctly until loosen the right foot, happens in about 3. and 4. gear.....I think the private seller knew that! But I am a little more optimstic after spent some time reading your fantastic DIYs, thank you! Now I will try to change all oil, filter and a spring before wisiting a greedy dealer.

Love your forum..................:)

#60 ·
Thank you Kajtek! Long distance driving i think its a little below 0,6 liter/10 kilometer. Combined driving about 0,7. This is a car been chipped from original 143 hp until about 177, but I am a grownup man (like to think so...) and drives likely.......but my wife also drive somtimes and then its best to stand in the middle of the road (hope she not reading forums.....).

#63 ·
It is not unusual for a Benz to run long if taken care of.
Proper intervals on fluid changes and tune ups, as well as getting after things before they snap.
The challenge to any auto, however is when to give up on repairs. When to retire the old dog.
Routinely I run vehicles into the 1/4 mill mark, but some don't make it. Not because they won't, but because (in my area) rust takes over or repairs are considered insane.
Time to call the hook and have em hauled off when costs overshoot common sense.
On a Benz the 1/4 mill mark is easy, and if they give up the ghost, you stand a chance of recouping on it as a parts car. Plenty of folks here buy parts.

Aardvark

#65 ·
Keep up on the maintenance and it will serve you well

1998 E320 Base Model with Sunroof, Sunshade and CD Changer/Bose.
183,000+ miles.
Average of tank filled this AM (previous tank!) 27.9 MPG in mixed driving.

What's due for repair next? Rear Diff Pinion Seal is leaking a pint every 6 months... or more! Tranny Fluid due for changing at 190K.

This car is solid and I would trust it over my wife's Honda. Seriously. (Her old mare CRV has 194K on the clock and is starting to literally fall apart.)

Fluids, Filters and routine maintenance should serve you well.

Best of luck. I don't plan on getting rid of this car for several years. Sometimes if I have been away for a few days, I get back in the car and smell the leather etc... and I fall in love all over again with the car. It's so smooth and steady on the interstate.

#66 ·
I had both the W123 (1980 280E sedan), W124 (1987 260E sedan) and now W210 (E320 Wagon) with mileage of 180K, 240K, and 120K miles.

Only the 280E had the original transmission, the other two cars had their replaced at 160K miles and 105K miles for the E320 (rebuilt replacement at $5,000 indy... dealer wanted $8,000!)

After 160K miles you can expect to spend $700/year average fixing things up as parts do wear out!

The best car (except for the Tranny job!) is the E320W even though it is 10 years old... still drives like new. :thumbsup:

#68 ·
Uh... at 52K / year mileage and 133k miles, you are about a year ahead of me... so please keep accurate record of your service/maintenance especially any parts you replace so I know what to expect down the line!

Also from my experience, you should replace the Voltage Regulator (Alternator Bushing) within the next year (before 160K miles) or the wire in the worn bushing will start grooving the Alternator's commutator slip rings! Sometimes the worn brushes will skip on the slip ring and not charge the battery completely up.

AutohausAZ has the VR cheap.

:)

#70 ·
:thumbsup: Good for her....

But notice that she's packin' a pistol and not afraid to let everyone know it...

.....so I'll bet that keeps everyone in line and honest, including the car mechanics when they try to argue about her lifetime warranties!!! :rolleyes:

#71 ·
I plan to drive mine to 500K miles hopefully. I am extremely anal about services done on time and preventive maintenance. Mine has 95K on it now. Will keep it hopefully through my medical residency for the next 4-5 years. I will however get a new car hopefully before then and then keep this for my everyday beater. My car runs excellent now. As the KING OF KNOWLEDGE, "ohlord" says, "it has only gotten 8 or so oil changes", so I believe its is still an infant.

#72 ·
I've seen a blog where a guy driving delivery van logged over a million miles on original engine and original transmission.
Million miles on gasser is possible, but it is rather exception, than the rule like with diesel.
One of Polish members reported over 2 million kilometers on 5cylinder diesel in Sprint van.

#74 ·
almost all Coach in China got 2 million KMs before they retire... but it seems that Benz Coach isn't the most reliable one, they are all imported from Germany but it weren't as reliable as Volvo's B10M, which has 9.6 Liter diesel engine and Front-mid engine placement design.:D

#77 ·
That is awesome!!! Mine has just turned 95K miles and would love to get another 100K or so on it! Could you share your secrets? What do you do? Preventative stuff, addition of "cleaning detergents", etc. I do all the maintenance myself, such as changing fluids, etc. Also, at every oil change, (~10K) miles, I run a bottle of seafoam injector cleaner through the tank. i am happy to say that my car is in EXCELLENT running condition! Engine clean enough to eat off of, and runs like a fine swiss watch. However my MPGs are kinda extreme. I get 33.5 MPG straight highway driving, and around ~15-18MPGs in straight city driving. I will be changing my spark plugs soon.
thanks

#87 ·
Not to dig up a old thread but I just rolled 102,000 miles on my W210. One tiny litttle rust spot. Any rust on your W210's? I wash mine every week.