Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How many miles on your W210

223K views 982 replies 473 participants last post by  wlb50 
#1 ·
I have 44,000 miles on my 98 E320. I was wondering if these V6 engines will go long like the old inline 6 from the pre-1993 W124. I have had 2 of those W124 and put over 200,000 on each. Still have one running strong.
Anybody out there have over 200,000 miles on a W210? If so, how has the maintenance been?

#27 ·
'99 E320 71,000 miles

Replaced radio head, Climate control module, A/C compressor, interior rear door latch & MAF Sensor.

Other than that it's A+.

No mechanical troubles from the engine although a few threads talk about harmonic balancer issues and a possible recall on front spring towers

#28 ·
Mileage on W210

Hi, I just puchased a 1998 E320 V6 with 137 000 miles.
What a gem, never thought it would be so good.
Starts with the least amount of effort needed.
Turn the key breifly and it sorts itself out.
Only thing is a slight noise I think from the power steering at idle
when turned to near full lock. Think a topup is required??
Or is there any other cause I should look at?

Only irritating thing is whine from the aftermarket cd/radio player
when the engine is on. I know whats causing it, just sorting it out
will be a mission.

Im dead keen to do DIY from now on where I can and this site is brilliant.

If anyone is keen to commiserate experiences from your steeds.
Please do so.

MB owners, enjoy your drives.

#33 ·
My 1998 E430 has 155,000 Km on it.

I change the tranny fluid/filter every 50,000 Km and the engine oil about every 8,000 Km.

Just washed the car, took it out for a nice sunset cruise down an open road - I love the way this car drives. Effortless, silent cruising. Just put new Michelin Pilot Sports on this summer and it handles beautifully for a 10-yr old car.

#41 ·
I have a 1997 E320 with 272,000 miles on it. I have just replaced the transmission at 270,000 miles. Everything else on the car is still working perfectly except I think the a/c needs an expansion valve replaced. Great car - just took it on a 1000 mile round trip to the Grand Canyon - average 75/80 mph and got 26 mpg. Mileage should be better when I change the plugs.

#46 ·
- just took it on a 1000 mile round trip to the Grand Canyon - average 75/80 mph and got 26 mpg. Mileage should be better when I change the plugs.
That makes me feel great. I just drove to Orlando & back from Clearwater and my E420 got 26 mpg as well.
75 to 80 mph.

#43 ·
We had 205,000 on our 98 E320 wagon, with the original transmission. Replaced the cats and front end bushings on the suspension. We took the car on regular long distance trips with no issues whatsoever. Sadly it was in a collision in April and the insurance totaled it.

#47 ·
From all the cars I've ever owned here in the U.S., my mercedes holds the highest at 120k miles. My other vehicles from an explorer to Solara, they all did not reach 100k m. I guess I am just extra carefull with this gem.

#50 ·
My 97 E420 is at 105K, but has a long way to go to catch up to some of my other cars. 95 S-10 just turned 190K, 87 GM van was at 180K when I sold it 4 years ago and is still going strong for the new owner, Pontiac 6000 finally crapped out with a bad transmission at 170K. Shoot, my 04.5 Silverado is catching up, 75K, will hit 90K this year. I'm sure the benz will go many more miles, but so far the others outshine the mercedes in reliability by a long way. good thing the 420 is so much fun to drive.

#48 ·
Member Roland500SEL from Köln (Cologne) / Germany, is a member of a number of MB sites there.
He could probably find out the highest documented (Kilometerleistung) mileage if asked by PM.
I can recall W123 taxi cabs with million+ mileages.

I just remembered the classics center could have this info:

Mercedes Benz Classic Center USA, LLC
www.mbusa.com

9 Whatney
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 598-4850

#49 ·
Most cars should easily reach 200K miles without any major repairs, unless maintenance is not kept up on (mainly fluids). I have run 6 cars over 200k, and then get nervous about long road trips (for breakdown reasons). I ran a S-10 pickup over 275k and beat the truck hard in construction work, sold it, and the next owner drove it for 1 + year. Then a 72 Grand Prix, with 375K miles. I don't do major repairs, like trans or engine work on old rides. They snap and they go away on a hook or are sold for parts.
I say this because if a Benz can't beat a GM or Ford in longevity, they are screwing up.
Both of my Benz's have over 145K, now and I plan on keeping them for a good 5 years more, unless they become a hole that money gets poured into. Then they (or any car) go out with the trash.

Saying that, I bought the Benz's for their engineering and longevity, I believe they will last. I hope I don't get proven wrong.

Aardvark

#51 ·
e-420
I will give both of my Benz's a thumbs up so far on the reliability, but the repair costs are excessive. Glad I am a car guy, and don't get screwed over by mechanics(when things are over my ability for my own diy).
I think both of my Benz's have a strong chance of running hi mileage, and I've had no major failures so far (but may be looking at a head gasket on the E-320). When repairs come close to car value...time for a hook!
Agree, mine are also fun to drive, and seem to satisfy most of my daily driving styles.
For all out straight line performance and cornering, It's my modified Mustang(or other choices out there), but as an everyday driver with a good balance of performance and comfort, it is definitely the Benz E-320.

#56 ·
I think most plastic parts and interior lining would be worn too. That's why people stop caring for their cars. New cars are affordable too, and the maintenance fee of the old car may exceed the installment of a new car. Oh no, this also apply to us, I don't think I want to get old! Even with proper maintenance, we will still grow old, sign...