Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tips on replacing plugs

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mjhawkins2346 
#1 ·
I replaced the plugs on my '01 E320 this weekend and here's my tips.

Plan time, The job's not easy.
Get a pair of long plyers that are used to squeeze 1/2" holes at the end for pulling off the plug wires.
Have a 3" socket extention and a U flex adapter. There isn't much room to work.
Pull off the "coils" or whatever they call the boxes that the plug wires connect to. You need the room to get the plug wires off of the plugs.
Spray the plug wires with a little bit of silicon and they slide on nice and easy.
I used anti-sieze on the plugs to make the next change go better.

I changed mine at 105,000, but should have done it sooner as the performance was noticable.
GOOD LUCK

#4 ·
Getting the plastic engine cover off is easy. Just pull up on it firmly, and the clips will release. I believe there are 3 clips.

#8 ·
Someone forgot to add the important comment on torqueing the plugs in properly. I believe it's 16 lb/ft of torque.

I changed my set and the advise is good, but not having a torque wrench, I was very careful not to strip the threads since the heads are aluminum. Easy to do -- and a major hassle to fix.

I also used Anti-sneeze on the threads but didn't use a silicone spray on the boot. The next guy changing plugs may have the same fight I had removing the boots. I'm not sure what type of plier he is referring to, but I used a pair of 6" needle nose vise grips very carefully and they seemed to work. A short handled/flex handle socket wrench (3/8) seemed to do the trick when combined with an (old) non-ratcheting, but swivel jointed "breaker bar" type 3/8 handle -- 8-10 inches long for the torque needed to break free initially. Oh, yes, and using a 3" extension on the 5/8" rubber plug booted socket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.