Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How about springs - DIY?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Storm 
#1 ·
I just read the post on DIY shock replacement. How about road springs, has anyone done this themselves? Special spring compressor? Tips? I am looking to do shocks, springs and adjustable rear camber arm on a 97 E420. Any advice from the group would be welcomed. (this job was easy on a Lotus Esprit)

#4 ·
ANY spring compressors will work on the W210 front springs. I'm about to fit my new suspension to my E280 and from the research I have already done it should be a 2 hour job (remember I do have my own workshop). A beginner should be able ot do this (with limited tools) in about 5 hours.

It's very straightforward once you get under the car and take a look at what has to be done.

#5 ·
Just to reinforce MBS Auto's comment -- the springs have a lot of power when de-compressing and could break quite a bit ( not the least - you ) when suddenly released.

That could cost quite a bit to repair.

Since you've done a Lotus Esprit -- you might be comfortable and experienced, however if any doubt.....

Good luck

#7 ·
For the front, the "special" spring compressor makes the job really easy. Without it, it becomes a little more scary. If you do not use the compressor in the front, you will have to remove the lower control arm pivot bolts. You do this with a floor jack in place under the arm. I disconnect the upper control arm ball joint and raised the front of the car as high as a floor jack would go, also disconnected the front sway bar links and the lower shock mount along with the tie-rod joint from the spindle. Even then with the lower A-arm in full droop, the spring is too long. I ended up using some external spring clamps with the lower arm all the down and I got the spring out. I would not do it the same way again. You can rent the spring compressor from Performance Products for $80/week.
Which a far cry from buying it for ~$500.

The rear is much easier, the lower arm pivot bolt is very short. I did not even have to disconnect the lower shock mount. Raising the lower arm back is a little tricky, but not impossible.

Summary:

Front - need compressor
Rear - no compressor, did each side in less 1 hr.

#8 ·
rob_fed - 2/14/2005 2:10 AM

For the front, the "special" spring compressor makes the job really easy. Without it, it becomes a little more scary. If you do not use the compressor in the front, you will have to remove the lower control arm pivot bolts. You do this with a floor jack in place under the arm. I disconnect the upper control arm ball joint and raised the front of the car as high as a floor jack would go, also disconnected the front sway bar links and the lower shock mount along with the tie-rod joint from the spindle. Even then with the lower A-arm in full droop, the spring is too long. I ended up using some external spring clamps with the lower arm all the down and I got the spring out. I would not do it the same way again. You can rent the spring compressor from Performance Products for $80/week.
Which a far cry from buying it for ~$500.

The rear is much easier, the lower arm pivot bolt is very short. I did not even have to disconnect the lower shock mount. Raising the lower arm back is a little tricky, but not impossible.

Summary:

Front - need compressor
Rear - no compressor, did each side in less 1 hr.
I could not find anything on Performance Products web site about tool rental. Is this something they do not advertise?

#10 ·
I had to call Performance Products to find out about the spring compressor rental. It is also subject to availability, they only have a few to rent.

As for the $50 auto parts rental compressor, none of them will probably work. The internal one is too large for the W210 coils and the external type is very dangerous because it is hard to get the correct placement of the tool on to the coil. I used the external type only to ease the tension when the lower arm was disconnected at the ball joint.

#11 ·
I concur with Rob. The front springs definitely require the proper spring compression tool. I removed the lower A-arm bolts, sway bar bolt, tried a generic internal compressor (nope), and eventually was able to get a pair of external compressors to work. Still not pretty.
While you're working in the area, be sure to closely inspect the upper spring perch. Is it rusting?

#12 ·
god damn

i fucked uP! i have a 00 E430 4Matic tried to take the front shocks off cant. It pined the axle. i removed the fork for the shock and the upper bolts. NOW ITS STUCK i cant do SHI! damnit. damnit. damnit. its a lot harder then it looks. I guess the 4matic is way different. i dont even know what to do now. Im about to remove the whole hub assembly to get it off of the axle thats the only way out. Its pinning my BUSHING.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.