Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Would like advise on what to look for and value of 1997 E-320

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gemee 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum but have read some very informative information. I am about to purchase my first Mercedes and would like some advice. The car I am looking at is a 1997 E-320. The car is silver with a tinge of brown I think they call it desert silver with kind of a cream interior. It has 30,224 original miles. The owner bought it new in Florida as his car for when he was in Florida for the winter from Ohio. He also bought a '97 E-420 to travel back and forth so it has more miles. He and his wife have decided to travel the country so they are buying a SUV and they have brought both to Ohio to sell. Before he left Floida on 4-03-04 he had a break job done at the dealer (cost $1000+) and new Michelin's put on it. When he arrived in Ohio he had the dealer do the 30,000 mile service. All service is up to date. The car has a couple of minor door dings and the car needs new floor mats(minor). The car has a moon roof but no CD changer or heated seats. The car runs and drives great however when I drove it again yesterday and checked all of the functions one of the back windows did not work properly. It made a loud noise and the window would not go up or down. The owner has agreed to have this fixed. My detailer can remove the dings and detail the car so it will look like new. The owner has agreed to sell it to me for $16,000 (he was asking a lot more but does not need the money and is a really nice guy). My questions are this. I have owned a 1992 Acura Legend LS that I bought new and it has been flawless in it's performance and inexpensive to maintain. What should I expect from the Benz and are there any standard problems that I should expect? Does the price seem reasonable for such a low mileage example with everything up to date and ready to go? Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long first post.

See less See more
#2 ·
fyi...

I own a '97 E320, Glacier White, tan leather. All options: heated seats, sunroof, Mercedes - bose upgraded sound system with integrated phone and 6 cd changer in trunk. I bought the car in '99 with 20k miles. Car has always been garaged and is in MINT condition. Car now at 92k miles (MINT, no dings!)
I am a Mercedes fanatic and this car has been serviced by MB dealer, even oil changes. I upgraded the wheels to AMGs, including spare in 1999. Car has had it's 90k service and is perfect! Selling it now because I have found a new "toy", a 1971 280SL. So... selling mine. Listed at $19,500, but will consider any reasonable offer.
Contact me at 901-246-9926 if interested.

#3 ·
Sounds like a good deal for that amount of miles. The rear windows are a common problem. If one broke, then the other one is sure to go soon. The 97 has the inline 6 cly engine instead of the V6. The V6 came around in 98 but Mercedes wouldn't put it in there top of the line S-Class until the worked out the bugs in it around the 2000 model year. In 97 Mercedes did install the new 5 speed transmission that is still around today. They only other thing to check would be the lower control are bushings because they are a common thing to start creaking. You can add a CD changer to the stereo system because it is prewired in the trunk. The best way is to get an Alpine 6 disk (CHM600) changer and a "PIE" adapter and bolt it in the trunk. It is controled by the stock stereo. This costs less than half of the OEM changer and it is the same changer.

#4 ·
Hi my wife has a 96 E320 and apart from the recent oil leaks i am trying to cure it is as good as gold has 122000 miles on the clock.
In the last 13 months i have had to replace the following.
Battery (was still original)
Alternator (did not need replacing but as the car was a long way from home my wife got it replaced!)
Lambda sensor.
And as i mentioned the oil leak i am trying to cure.
Very nice car to drive goes like the clappers and more importantly she loves it.

Lynall

#5 ·
Have you run a carfax on this car? Why would it need new tires at 30K? Also, even at Mercedes prices, $1,000 for a brake job means a lot more then pads were replaced. Are there other indications that the odometer reading is incorrect?

Your comment about the seller being a nice guy and not really needing the money is something you normally hear in court during a lawsuit. I would check for other indicators that this cars mileage is not correct.

#6 ·
The owner was returning from Florida and is 80 years old so he decided to put on the new tires and make sure it was well serviced. the car appears as new and there is no indication of the mileage being incorrect. Like I said the family is very well off and his son in law who is selling the car for him would rather not spend a lot of time dealing with it which is why he agreed to my offer. I am more concerned with the reliability of the cars than anyhting.

#7 ·
If you check the "blue book" value of the car it's right around the price you offered. I have a 1997 E320 that just hit 36,000. All miles are original as it my second car (i.e. toy). Only problems I've had were the bushings and turn signal stalk needed to be replaced. When I was going to trade it in a couple of months ago on the new E500, the dealer offered me 14,000. The salesman advised me to sell it myself because "if he's offering you 14,000 it's because he knows he can sell it for 20,000.

#8 ·
Something that I would recommend that you do, is to go on to eBay and check the recent "Completed auctions" for E320's for that year. I bought my 99 on eBay a year ago, and I am head over heels in love with it. $16,000 for that low of milage, is a decent deal. I would definitely go for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.