Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil Level

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Benzyle 
#1 ·
Hi,
I did an oil and oil filter change on my 2003 CLK320 M112. Drained the oil out via the sump bolt.
I carefully measured and poured exactly 8.0 Litres into the engine which is the stated capacity when replacing the filter.
Ran the car around the block and all is good.
The basic display says the oil level is ok.
The MFD service display says the oil level is at 7.2 Litres.
So my questions are...Is the MFD saying 7.2 L because 0.8l is held up in the oil filter etc?
If I put another 0.8l into the engine it would then be overfilled,correct?
Does this mean that on the M112 we should be aiming for a level of 7.2l on the MFD, because this means we actually have 8.0l in the engine?
If so ,this could be a reason as to why overfilling seems to occur quite often.

#2 ·
The basic display says the oil level is ok.
The MFD service display says the oil level is at 7.2 Litres.
So my questions are...Is the MFD saying 7.2 L because 0.8l is held up in the oil filter etc?
You are OK. The filter only holds 0.5l - the rest is distributed around the engine and could eventually drain into the sump where the sensor is located.
When I took these photos for the thread below from the forum sticky section, my cluster showed 7.1 litres just after an 8l oil change.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1600969-how-read-engine-oil-level-cluster.html

If I put another 0.8l into the engine it would then be overfilled, correct?
Does this mean that on the M112 we should be aiming for a level of 7.2l on the MFD, because this means we actually have 8.0l in the engine?
If so ,this could be a reason as to why overfilling seems to occur quite often.
I don't use the cluster indication for total accuracy - just for general confirmation of oil level. In the end I bought an (all engine) dipstick that hangs on the garage wall. I know that I need 170mm - 172mm on the calibrated shaft. (240 CLK and 320 CLK engines are identical here.)

#3 ·
Thanks Keyhole.
I might get one of those dipsticks,depending on what the stealership charges.
Then again,if I just make sure I put in exactly 8.0l each time maybe I don't really need one.
But I do think that owners should be aware that the MFD will not give you an accurate account of the total amount of oil in the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.