Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

270CDI Fuel Filter

5K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Bernardpauldavid 
#1 ·
Hi gents. OK a nice simple one for you. The clip on the filter hose looks pretty fragile. Seems like you have to compress two sides of the clip to make it release. I'm scared of forcing it and breaking something. Am I being a soft arse or doing something wrong. In general I can't seem to find much on the 270 CDI engine. I've had the car for 3 years now and am sure i should have done more than change the oil a couple of times. My first diesel....won't be my last!

#2 ·
The clip on the filter hose looks pretty fragile. Seems like you have to compress two sides of the clip to make it release. I'm scared of forcing it and breaking something.
The WIS says 'replace the hose clamps' so maybe in the workshop they just break them off. If you are careful, you might be able squeeze the clamp, and then pull the hose off without removing the clamp from the hose.

I know nothing about your diesel engine. However....

the WIS refers to 'bleeding the low pressure diesel circuit', after changing the filter. You use the diesel breather pump. Do you know how to do that?

#4 ·
What I don't want is air blockages. If you can give some guidance I would appreciate it. The Haynes manual said it auto bled. I liked that! Thanks in advance. B
Maybe on some engines/years there is auto bleed. You will notice if you have a diesel breather pump fitted to the engine. And a cable to connect to the cigarette lighter socket. Your engine is 612.962 so you can ignore references to others.

Just so you get the torques right and don't break anything doing this job, I have included the full set of info.

Attachments

#5 ·
Bleeding Problems.

Hi Keyhole. Thanks for the great info.
I've had a look and cannot see a pump or cable,there is no branch off the hose either. Could I be in luck? (Auto bleed)????
I had planned to fill the new filter with clean diesel when I fit it to reduce the air in the system.
This is the low pressure side, so I'm not expecting to get sprayed with diesel at x bar pressure!
Thanks again, any more thoughts appreciated.
B.

#6 ·
I've had a look and cannot see a pump or cable,there is no branch off the hose either. Could I be in luck? (Auto bleed)????
Yes. Without the fitted pump I must assume that the system can take care of itself.

I had planned to fill the new filter with clean diesel when I fit it to reduce the air in the system.
Good thinking. I wonder how all the air bubbles are automatically removed?
Maybe another member with a diesel engine can chime in here with some hands-on information.

#7 ·
Thanks again Keyhole

I will change the filter at the weekend. As soon as I'm sure everything is fine I will report back to the forum.
There still seems to be a shortage of info for the 2.7 5 pot diesel. Is there another area of this forum which might have more info?
My homework told me it was a good engine and I cannot fault it yet. Any more info would be appreciated.
Thanks again. B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.