BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle: 2008 clk 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jacking points question

Did some search and could not find an answer. Just wonder. How did you guys jack up your car, on jack stands? If yes, how did you get your car on stands? I know there are 4 jacking points under the sill. There must be other locations (at least one in the front and one for the rear) that can be used to lift the car using a jack (so jack stands can be inserted). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Got the answer. Thanks.

I use a rolling hydraulic floor jack and four jack stands. A low-profile jack works best. Don't jack on each corner - instead lift via the center jack pints on each axle. On the front, if you'll look at the bottom engine cover, you'll see a rubber block protruding through the middle of it. That's the front axle center jack point. On the rear axle, you lift from under the differential. If you jack has a nice rubber pad, then that's fine. If not, you'll want to put something like that between the jack and the diff to keep from damaging it. BTW, these are official MBZ-approved jack points. Once you get an axle raised, place the jack stands on the corner jack pints (those plastic pucks where the emergency jack goes). My advice is to go ahead and buy a good low-profile floor jack (you'll need it to get under the diff - it's a long reach from the rear bumper). I found one at Costco for about $100. I think Sears and Walmart both carry a "kit" with two jack stands and the jack.

Also, a perfectly flat "lift" may not put the transmission pan perfectly level (and that's what is needed). I think it has a slight downward slope to the rear. In my case, my garage floor is gently sloped toward the door, so that in combination with an extra notch on the rear jack stands got my pan perfectly level.

Oh, and use wheel chocks while jacking!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
^^ +1

Nice post. I think that I have shown the WIS jacking pdf here before - but a long time ago.

Everything above is correct. A block of wood is generally used to protect the diff when raising the rear end of the car. If you are raising the front of car to get to the engine oil drain plug, then after the 2 front axle stands are in place the front & real plastic covers can be removed.

The W209 CLK weighs about 2 metric Tonnes (2000kg or 4400lbs) overrall, with about 1T on each axle, so provided that the floor jack is rated for 2T and each axle stand is rated for over 1T it should be OK.

You only need to raise the front of the car to drain the engine oil - and also check for other problems while down there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W209 jacking.pdf (204.2 KB, 118 views)
Red, likes this.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Nice! Thank you for the additional info and PDF.

Enjoy your snow day if you are in northeast.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W209 CLK Class