BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: CLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Factory Radio Removal/Install Q's

I just recently purchased a 1998 Mercedes Benz CLK320. It has a factory tape deck in it, along with a Bose sound system. Today I bought a Clarion VRX935VD DVD/MP3/CD 7" TOUCH SCREEN reciever unit.
I know that I will have to buy a wire harness to connect the factory radio wire harness to the new head unit. Also I will have to purchase an
antenna adaptor. Do you know if I have to do anything else, to make it sound like normal. My new unit has an internal amp, but the Bose factory amp is probably better. I know that my bose system has an amplifier, will I need to buy an adaptor or harness
for that? If there is any other info you have please let me know, thanks so much !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 02:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2003
You would be better off not using the factory amp. Factory head units use high level out...

You would be better off not using the factory amp. Factory head units use high level outputs and not RCA's so it would just complicate things to use the factory amp. Use your aftermarket head units built in amp and by pass the factory one.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: CLK320
(Thread Starter)
Would I lose a lot of power by doing this?

Yes I had thought of this, but wouldn't I lose a lot of the power doing this. My headunit only pumps out like 18watts per channel RMS, and 52 watts max.(And this is one of the best on the market) The factory amp i'm sure is a lot more powerfull. I am just worried after all this money the system sounds worse then I began with. Is there any alternatives>? I guess i could get another amp to wire up to the factory speakers but that could get complicated, and i don't even know how many channels i would need, or where the factory amp is/where i would put the new one. Please if anyone has done this before or knows the best way to accomplish great sound in their car i will owe you one! Thanks in Advance
#4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: CLK, 911, 930S
I am interested in this as well.

I want to upgrade the head unit only at this time. So if you know how you can use the factory amp and speakers to a new head unit. Please post. Thanks.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
go to ebay... type "mercedes radio harness" you'll see this guy that sells them... its n...

go to ebay... type "mercedes radio harness" you'll see this guy that sells them... its not plug and play... but it's pretty close... you'll need to tap like 3 wires... it comes with the antenna adapter also... i got mine for 29.99 and about 2-3 hours of work coz i didnt have the radio removal keys and i couldnt find the emergency brake wire and mixed up the foot brake thing... it turned out ok though... ill post pics when my cd changer arrives from the mail
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
Re:

Quote:

You would be better off not using the factory amp. Factory head units use high level outputs and not RCA's so it would just complicate things to use the factory amp. Use your aftermarket head units built in amp and by pass the factory one.
That's not completely true. Some of the Mercedes head units have selectable outputs, which when used with a Bose system, are set to line level.

-s-

1987 190E / 1987 300E x2/ 2001 CLK55 / 2001 ML55 / 2002 G500 / 2003 E55 / 2006 R350 / 2006 G450 / 2007 sumtin sumtin
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 12:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: CLK 55
Do it right

You need to weight it out...by a CD changer to work with the factory unit and not screw anything up

OR go to a reputable stereo shop and get some advice.
I replaced everything in my benz. Yeah it can get expensive, but you'll pay even more when you try to do it yourself when you are really unsure what the hell you are doing..

You will have a nice screen but it will sound like crap. Get some help...or consider buying a used MB Command NAV system and install that which will be probably the best thing to do in addition go to NAV-TV and buy their unit so you can get TV and play DVD's on the factory screen as well.

Good luck.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:29 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: CLK 430
Headunit

from where can you get a used command system for 2002 clk. Can you just simply install a used navigation system in car that didn't orgnially have a navigations system?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 430 AMG
RE: Factory Radio Removal/Install Q's

I was told that if you use a high end low level to high level crossover to better adjust the impedence level of your aftermarket deck to the stock input into the amp this is the best way, only other thing that has been suggested to me is start from scratch, rewire everything and replace all components...

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class