CD Changer won't recognize magazine - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG
Post CD Changer won't recognize magazine

As the thread title states, my CD changer now says that even when I've loaded the magazine, with CDs, that there is no magazine or the magazine is empty. I have OEM COMAND navigation, OEM CD changer in the trunk, and BOSE amp/speakers. This started off as an intermitent problem, but now the CD changer only works one in every ten tries or so. Has anyone ever experienced an issue similar to this, or have any thoughts about what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.
TateCLK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430
If you search the thread you'll see a lot of people have experienced this exact issue.

Goes from good to intermittent to bad. I personally have never seen a fix, but I (like a lot of others) eventually just gave up and put in an aftermarket system so I gave up on reading all the threads on the topic.
skiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: W208 CLK230K 2000 year, Past -W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
Sorry guys im not being flippent ! but I didn't think people still used CD changers!!! and stopped in the 90's...
personally the best thing I did was upgrade from the stock Bose to a Sony with USB, Bluetooth, AUX, you never need CD's...

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit, no#1 pad front & rear, Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt badges, Parking sensors, Colour coded grill, Front flat lip, Front eccentric camber bolts, Denso Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, Blue LED modified dash & interior.
][/B]
A1EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG Cab
Yes,
I had the same problem when I got my car. It never got better, except once it let me open the changer and add CDs in, then promptly denied me any further entry. I eventually replaced it with an Alpine aftermarket unit with all the previously mentioned bells and modern whistles and haven't looked back since.

BTW, as I mentioned to my son when he spotted a couple of CDs in my car and had the same reaction, the HU came new with the CD function, I still have some CDs knocking around that I like so why NOT use it. Sure, I stream Pandora BT audio through my smartphone into the vehicle and it sounds great through the stock Bose system with new sub added. I also pop in a USB drive from time to time or just kick back a roll to the HD radio. No matter what the source, CD, BT, USB or HD it all sounds good through the system that I have installed. Peace.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the answers. I don't use the CD changer too often, it just bothers me to know that it doesn't work. I'm thinking I'll just remove it, especially since I see no reason to replace something that is used so rarely.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2013
I'm having the same issue. When I first bought some CD's it worked fine but after the first or second time it read the "magazine empty" message. I really didn't want to put in an aftermarket head unit and ruin the oem theme :/
Josh_Althouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
Sorry guys im not being flippent ! but I didn't think people still used CD changers!!! and stopped in the 90's...
personally the best thing I did was upgrade from the stock Bose to a Sony with USB, Bluetooth, AUX, you never need CD's...
we don't even have bose, probably a Becker without name (only "Mercedes" schrifft)
Volker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I just wanted to keep it factory which is why I left the stock head unit be and figured I would use the CD changer while I had it, but I wasn't aware of the problem it had so I'll probably end up upgrading to some kind of aftermarket system down the road.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Althouse View Post
I just wanted to keep it factory which is why I left the stock head unit be and figured I would use the CD changer while I had it, but I wasn't aware of the problem it had so I'll probably end up upgrading to some kind of aftermarket system down the road.
If you want to keep the OEM look, check out alibaba or eBay for headunits that were designed to go in the W208. They look factory, but annoyingly require you to hack up the wiring harness, which has held me back.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Okay, thank you very much. I'll take a look into it. I have pretty much decided on just going with an aftermarket head unit at this point. Even if it's not very oem, I was thinking about just finding a really nice, expensive one instead of some cheap junk.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class