BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 01 CLK 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key won't turn ignition.

I have a 01 CLK 430 with original keys & the keys have always worked perfectly. Tonight I parked in the garage then went out 30 minutes later & my key will not turn the ignition. But it will unlock/lock the doors. I got new batteries for it about a month ago. I went & got my spare key & it works perfectly. I swapped the batteries & the key I mainly use will still not turn the ignition.
I do have a perfectly good key, but am still tripping as to why the other key will not work & like having a spare.
Anyone know what could be wrong & how to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2000 clk 430
I have experience the same problem ..... But haven't look into it . I use my spare key as well. I believe it might need too be reprogram at dealership if it is such a thing. Have you found problem too solution ??

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
First thing to note - this is nothing to do with the remote key battery. You can start your engine with no battery in the ignition key. The batteries are only required for the central locking system operation.

The power for the key electronics for Drive Authorization is supplied from the EIS electronic ignition switch control module (N72) via induction coil and IR circuits. So there has to be something inhibiting the Drive Authorization system, which permits the key to turn forwards from posn 0 to posn 3.

As your spare key works fine, the problem is not in the car.. If the end of the key that contacts the EIS is not dirty, preventing IR transmission, it must be that the infrared transmitter/receiver circuit inside the key is faulty.

The circuits can be revealed by sliding the key cover off, and (using magnification) you might see a bad connection there on the printed circuit. You must use a miniature soldering iron to do any repairs, or you can do damage with excessive heat with a 'standard' iron.

MB dealership can supply a new 'spare' key, but you will be expected to provide some evidence of vehicle ownership and ID to prevent fraud. It's not cheap either....
#4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
First thing to note - this is nothing to do with the remote key battery. You can start your engine with no battery in the ignition key. The batteries are only required for the central locking system operation.

The power for the key electronics for Drive Authorization is supplied from the EIS electronic ignition switch control module (N72) via induction coil and IR circuits. So there has to be something inhibiting the Drive Authorization system, which permits the key to turn forwards from posn 0 to posn 3.

As your spare key works fine, the problem is not in the car.. If the end of the key that contacts the EIS is not dirty, preventing IR transmission, it must be that the infrared transmitter/receiver circuit inside the key is faulty.

The circuits can be revealed by sliding the key cover off, and (using magnification) you might see a bad connection there on the printed circuit. You must use a miniature soldering iron to do any repairs, or you can do damage with excessive heat with a 'standard' iron.

MB dealership can supply a new 'spare' key, but you will be expected to provide some evidence of vehicle ownership and ID to prevent fraud. It's not cheap either....
I'll have my buddy take a look at it & see if he can fix it. The circuit board was the only thing I could think of that could be wrong. I took it out when it happened but couldn't see anything wrong, but I didn't have a magnifying glass.
I didn't know they could turn the car on w/o a battery though.
& I had called the closest MB dealer when I first bought it to replace the keys because they had a lot of wear & they said it would be around $535 to replace. & that was before I knew you could just replace the casing.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
The only thing I can add is there is a guy in Texas that repairs keys and will even put the electronics into a newish chrome shell. He has a thread in the classified section and a lot of positive feedback. His user name is something like dknight. Good luck.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino3 View Post
I didn't know they could turn the car on w/o a battery though.
Yes, you can - and as you can open the driver's door using the 'mechanical' key at the end of the fob, you should never get totally stranded by remote battery failure.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Location: Boracay, Manny Pacquiao, Shamcey Supsup, Efren Bata Reyes
Hi guys. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I didn't find any conclusion to this and also in other threads having the same problem. As i was going through similar threads, this one is exactly my issue as well. The spare keys: the one without batteries, and the one with batteries were able to turn my ignition and start the car but the one that I use regularly does not.

Hope you don't mind answering some questions:

1. Is it possible to just buy a new key from the dealers considering our cars are old (mine is a 1998 1st gen w208 CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR) - would you have any idea how much will this cost?

2. Took the defective key apart and found nothing wrong with it. Everything was intact according to my untrained eyes though. Is it possible to have the dealers repair it?

3. Can I just install a PUSH TO START and proximity sensor system so that I can just throw away the old FOB keys? Will this affect the computer on board and give me never ending error messages? OR will this even work? A shop claimed they have installed the PUSH TO START proximity system on an SLK R170 and it worked perfectly.

Any conclusion, information on this issue would greatly be appreciated. Cheers!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket View Post
Hi guys. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I didn't find any conclusion to this and also in other threads having the same problem. As i was going through similar threads, this one is exactly my issue as well. The spare keys: the one without batteries, and the one with batteries were able to turn my ignition and start the car but the one that I use regularly does not.

Hope you don't mind answering some questions:

1. Is it possible to just buy a new key from the dealers considering our cars are old (mine is a 1998 1st gen w208 CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR) - would you have any idea how much will this cost?

2. Took the defective key apart and found nothing wrong with it. Everything was intact according to my untrained eyes though. Is it possible to have the dealers repair it?

3. Can I just install a PUSH TO START and proximity sensor system so that I can just throw away the old FOB keys? Will this affect the computer on board and give me never ending error messages? OR will this even work? A shop claimed they have installed the PUSH TO START proximity system on an SLK R170 and it worked perfectly.

Any conclusion, information on this issue would greatly be appreciated. Cheers!
I never did find a solution. But,

Yes, you can buy a new key from the dealer, no matter how old your car is. They just might not have it in stock & they would just order one.

On the second question, I'm not sure. I'm going to swing by the dealer Monday when I get back home to see if they could fix it for a reasonable price.

I'm not sure. My mom has a R170 & it has a metal key that flips out to turn the ignition on not a laser like ours. But I know it still does have a proximity sensor, so I believe it still should work on ours. Also, I don't know about all push to start systems, but the ones I have seen & my friends have installed, you still have to place a key in the ignition or in the case of newer ones, have a FOB with a certain distance of the proximity sensor...

Hopefully someone else can come in help us answer these.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class