Rear view mirror Garage door opener - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: '00 CLK430 Cabrio; '05 F250 Turbo Diesel 595 Ft-Lb / 340 HP
Rear view mirror Garage door opener

I tried to program the integrated garage door opener on the rear view mirror and it didn't work.

The actual opener itself has a built in "learn" function which also didn't work.

So I may be SOL, but anyone know of a garage door universal remote that could be programmed into the car and could be learned by the garage door opener??

I have the run of the mill Genie door opener you can get a Lowe's, etc.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan__B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 98 CLK320
Mine does (or more accurately doesn't do) the same thing (98 CLK 320). I wondered if the "homelink" is of an older type that doesn't do the newer "learning" door openers.

Question for people with the newer CLKs (newer than mine and Dan's)...does YOUR homelink work on learning-style door openers?
Model12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2001 CLK55 AMG
yeah i had the same problem but mine is a liftmaster. i followed mercedes intructions and then the actual garage door manual instructions and neither one worked. then my dad visited and he is not electronically savy some how programmed it for me without following any directions. i have no clue what he did but im just glad it works now haha. good luck
Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
MGD
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
You need two people or be quick on your feet. My '99 clk works on brand new code rolling garage door openers with no problems. You have to teach it the door opener remote first by holding the homelink button as per owner's manual. Once you've taught it the remote you have to teach the garage door opener the homelink programming. You do this by putting the garage door opener in learn mode (which is usually done at the opener itself up in the ceiling) and then pressing the homelink button in the car. They will then be synchronized and will work flawlessly. I did it on my mother-in-laws garage door opener and it has been working fine for the last year every time we visit from out of town.

P.S. It is all right there in the owner's manual.

HTH
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The instructions in the manual are clear, I just can't get the light on the mirror to start blinking as it's supposed to. Some people have said it's a matter of holding the button pressed (or depressed as some say, or "mashed" as we say here in the south) for an inordinately long time.

I figured the frequencies we not compatible since I can't get the light to blink.

I may try it again, but I have a feeling it's a matter of finding a universal remote that can be programmed into the car, and then "learned" by the garage door opener.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
MGD
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: '11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
I do recall it seeming to take a long time as well. Also, I don't think you can program a new remote code over an old one. I believe you have to delete the old ones first (which is probably why you can't get it to blink). So if you bought the car used I would perform the code delete first on the homelink and start from scratch. If I remember correctly (once you reset homelink) you need to hold one of the three buttons until the light flashes(?) and then I think you keep holding and press the opener remote until the light on homelink changes state? After that you teach the door opener the homelink code.
MGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 08E350,08C350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan__B View Post
The instructions in the manual are clear, I just can't get the light on the mirror to start blinking as it's supposed to. Some people have said it's a matter of holding the button pressed (or depressed as some say, or "mashed" as we say here in the south) for an inordinately long time.

I figured the frequencies we not compatible since I can't get the light to blink.

I may try it again, but I have a feeling it's a matter of finding a universal remote that can be programmed into the car, and then "learned" by the garage door opener.
Hello,
If your MB is 2000 model year or newer, the instructions in the manual sometime does not work. Here are some steps I did for my MB car :
1. Park you car on your driveway, or in the garage (it does not matter),key in position# 2, hit & hold the button (1 of 3 buttons) that you intend to program you garage opener, the yellow tiny light will flash a few time, then stop (this step is to wipe out the code already in your car)
2. If you garage opener had a rolling code, on side of the opener, there is a little door, take that little door out, you will see a RED (square) button (the sharp & color of the button may be dìfferent depend on the brand SEARS, Liftmaster, Genie.....) but all are made from 1 company Genie. Hit that red button (LEARN), the light on the opener will FLASH. Within 30 second, get in your car (Key still position # 2), Hold the button (1 of the 3 on the mirror of your choose) you will see the tiny yellow light on the mirror flash a couple of time, at the same time the light on the garage opener unit will lit up SOLID. You are DONE of programming the garage opener. You can try it now, it should open & close your garage.
The LEARN button on the garage opener do not mention on the manual, I try to use the remote control keypad, it does not work, until I learn this method, it work everytime I change the car !!!!!!.Good luck.
00CLK208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320
I have a 99 CLK 320 and it took me a while to program the bastardo, but after a few tries, I did it. It does take two people to acheive the task. Good luck!
rnjivars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

got it to work!

I got it working yesterday.

I wasn't holding the button on the mirror long enough. It took about 20 seconds for the solid light to begin blinking. At that point I clicked the garage remote, and it started to flash faster (indicating it got the signal)

Then I hit the "learn" button on the lift in the garage and pressed the button on the mirror and it was done.

Works great.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
MGD
BenzWorld Senior Member

Nice! It's like watching/waiting for water to boil...It only takes a minute but feels like an hour
MGD is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W208 CLK Class